Rondo to try out for USA 2010 World Championships team
|07.12.10 at 11:20 am ET|
Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo will be added to the Team USA tryout roster for the 2010 World Championships. Rondo had asked to be left off the roster because of a family commitment, but he appears to have changed his summer plans. He will join 21 other players who will be fighting for a roster spot when they attend the team’s July 20-24 training camp in Las Vegas.
“We got confirmation [Saturday night] that Rondo will come,” USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo told AOL FanHouse. “We’re very pleased to have Rondo with us. He’s very enthusiastic [about representing Team USA]. We feel very comfortable with where we’re at.”
The only player to be guaranteed a spot thus far is Thunder forward Kevin Durant. Rondo will have some stiff competition at the point guard position as he goes up against Chauncey Billups, Russell Westbrook and Stephen Curry as well as the two most recent Rookies of the Year in Tyreke Evans and Derrick Rose.
The entire roster from the gold medal team at the 2008 Olympics, including Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Dwight Howard, will not be participating this time around for a variety of reasons, ranging from injuries to a hectic summer schedule.
The roster needs to be trimmed to 12 by Aug. 26 for the start of the event in Turkey.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Austin Ainge Offers Window to C's Pre-Draft Process
- Trade Possibilities for C's with Draft Approaching
- Latest Buzz Surrounding Jamal Crawford, Kristaps Porzingis, Celtics'...
- Latest NBA Trade Rumors, Buzz
- Ranking Celtics' Biggest NBA Draft Needs
- Buzz Surrounding Ty Lawson, Celtics Draft Plans and More
- Realistic Targets for Celtics to Chase During Offseason