Fisher says he’ll return to Lakers
|07.13.10 at 6:41 am ET|
Derek Fisher, who was being wooed by LeBron James and the Heat, announced Monday that he would re-sign with the Lakers and play alongside Kobe Bryant for a 12th season.
“I have decided to continue with Kobe, continue with our teammates and the fans of Los Angeles,” Fisher said in a statement on his website. “While this may not be the most lucrative contract I’ve been offered this offseason, it is the most valuable. I am confident I will continue to lead this team on and off the court. Let the hunt for six begin.”
Fisher has started every regular-season game for the Lakers the last three seasons after returning for a second stint in Southern California. After his first eight seasons in LA, he played two seasons with the Warriors and one with the Jazz. He’s won five titles, including the 2010 crown that came at the expense of the Celtics.
“At the end of the day, there’s one person I could not turn away from,” Fisher said. “Kobe Bryant asked me to stay but supported whatever decision I made. He and I have played together for 11 seasons, came into the league together as kids, and has been loyal to me even when others had doubts.”
- Thursday's Leftovers: Crawford's hand is wrapped, Ainge discusses...
- At the Quarter Pole: Team Statistical Breakdown
- Boston Celtics Daily Links 12/5
- Ainge on Rondo: "not close"
- Forsberg: Embrace the winning
- Let the countdown begin: Rondo 10-14 days away from meeting with Dr....
- Boston Celtics Daily Links 12/4