Tony Allen: I felt ‘overshadowed’ while with C’s
|07.24.10 at 11:40 am ET|
Former Celtics guard Tony Allen, who recently signed a free agent deal with the Memphis Grizzlies, said Friday he felt ‘kind of overshadowed’ by Paul Pierce and Ray Allen while he was with Boston.
The 6-foot-4 Allen, who spent six seasons with the Celtics and averaged 7.2 points per game and 1.04 steals per game in his career, developed a reputation as a defensive stopper with the defending Eastern Conference champions. Along the way, he was part of a team that made two appearances in the NBA finals, and won a title in 2008.
But he sounded like someone who was anxious to get a new start and make his own name with a young ballclub in Memphis.
‘Being in Boston I was kind of overshadowed by those guys, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen,’ he told reporters on Friday. ‘Here’s a ballclub who’s on the rise and a lot of guys can make names for themselves. It’s a coming-out party for a lot of guys on this team.
‘I’m definitely going to try to start early defining a role, try to bring some sort of toughness to the ballclub,’ Allen said. ‘It’s obvious I have experience, and I’m just looking forward to just letting that marinate amongst the players that’s in this locker room.’
Allen hinted that while he enjoyed his role in Boston as a stopper, it may have caused people to forget he had more to offer than just an ability to defend.
‘I don’t mind embracing the role, but there is more to my game. Let’s not get that twisted,’ Allen said. ‘Whatever I could do to win ballgames. If that’s just passing out Gatorades or flashing towels or giving somebody a high five, I’m willing to do that.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Isaiah Thomas to Play vs. Wizards After Missing 2 Games with Knee Injury
- Ray Allen Not Invited to Rajon Rondo's NBA Title Celebration After...
- Isaiah Thomas Will Miss Next 2 Games for Celtics with Knee Injury
- Al Horford, Avery Bradley Out vs. Suns with Elbow, Hamstring Injuries
- Avery Bradley Returns from Achilles Injury for Celtics vs. Hawks
- Isaiah Thomas Criticizes DeMarre Carroll for Flagrant Foul in Celtics vs...