Ortiz ‘fine’ with Shaq as ‘Bigger Papi’
|08.22.10 at 5:30 pm ET|
David Ortiz knows nicknames.
So what does the Red Sox slugger think of sharing his own with another star athlete in Boston?
Among the suggestions for newly-signed Celtic Shaquille O’Neal is ‘Bigger Papi,’ a spin-off of Ortiz’s moniker. Big Papi wouldn’t mind.
‘He’s a big dude,’ Ortiz said of the 7-1, 325 pound center. ‘It’s not a big deal. It’s fine.’
O’Neal’s new nickname has been a topic of debate since the big man signed with the Celtics this summer. His past aliases include Big Diesel, Shaq Fu, The Big Aristotle, and Shaqtus when he played for the Suns.
Boston-themed nicknames up for debate range from the Big Shamrock and Green Monster to the Big Leprechaun and Jolly Green Giant.
After 18 years in the NBA, Ortiz thinks O’Neal’s name speaks for itself.
‘I think he’s got a good name,’ Ortiz said. ‘I don’t think he needs to change it. [I’d call him] ‘Big Shaq’ so people know who they’re talking about.’
Ortiz, an avid Celtics fan, has never met O’Neal but plans to do so this season. He believes O’Neal will make a big impact for the Celtics ‘¦ no matter what his nickname is.
‘I think it’s going to be a good addition to the team,’ Ortiz assessed. ‘I’m pretty sure the 15, 20 minutes that he plays are going to be good.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Why Celtics Will Be Better Than Expected in 2014-15
- Should Celtics Fans Buy or Sell Rondo's Hot Start?
- Lessons Learned from Celtics so Far
- Why Green Will Finally Succeed in Boston
- C's Big Offense Showing a Sign of Things to Come?
- Green's Transition to PF Could Reshape NBA Career Arc
- Could Rondo's Play Increase the Chances He's Dealt?