Rondo withdraws from Team USA
|08.24.10 at 1:46 pm ET|
According to a press release issued by USA Basketball, Celtics guard Rajon Rondo has withdrawn his name from consideration for the final spot on Team USA, who will begin their participation in the World Championships Saturday night in Istanbul.
“Rajon came to us and said he was going to withdraw from the team, that he had some family matters to attend to and some things to take care of before the NBA season. He did an outstanding job during our training, we appreciate the effort and commitment he made to our program and he completely has our support,” said USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo in the release.
Rondo was believed to be teetering on being the team’s final cut, telling ESPN.com Tuesday, “I think I’m on the bubble. Just looking at the obvious — I got a DNP last game. That pretty much speaks for itself.” His starting role had been taken over by Derrick Rose, with Russell Westbrook moving into the backup point guard position.
The final 12-man roster for Team USA is as follows: Chauncey Billups, Tyson Chandler, Stephen Curry, Kevin Durant, Rudy Gay, Eric Gordon, Danny Granger, Andre Iguodala, Kevin Love, Lamar Odom, Rose, and Westbrook.
For more Celtics coverage see the team page at weei.com/celtics.
- Jeff Green 8th in front court, Rajon Rondo 6th in back court in All Star...
- Boston Celtics Daily Links 12/12
- Doc Rivers Triumphant in Return Against Boston Celtics: Highlights &...
- Doc Rivers Tears Up in Post Game Press Conference After His Los Angeles...
- Doc Rivers Moves On, Brad Stevens Pushes Forward - Torch Passed In Boston
- Doc has his day, C's fall to Clips 88-96
- Boston Celtics' Moving Tribute Video to Doc Rivers at TD Garden