- Green Street - http://greenstreet.weei.com -
Fast Break: Celtics tame Raptors
Posted By Ben Rohrbach On October 10, 2010 @ 8:42 pm In General | No Comments
Led by Nate Robinson ‘s 13 points and the rest of the bench (again), the Celtics  held off the Raptors, 91-87, to improve to 3-0 this preseason. Delonte West  and Marquis Daniels  also contributed 11 points apiece off the bench.
THREE THINGS THAT WENT RIGHT
1. Gutsy second-unit minutes: Playing the majority of minutes in the second half of a close game, the Celtics bench responded each time the Raptors starters tried to make a run. A monster dunk by Stephane Lasme, a corner 3-pointer from Daniels and a nifty double-clutch layup over a defender by Robinson all proved key moments down the stretch. If you’re Doc Rivers , you love knowing the bench guys can contribute important minutes if necessary.
2. Quick transition: The Celtics hauled down 36 defensive rebounds — as Paul Pierce , Kevin Garnett , Luke Harangody and Semih Erden each grabbed at least five — and did a good job of looking for Rajon Rondo , West or Robinson running the floor. Some nice outlet passes (by Shaquille O’Neal  in particular) led to a number of easy baskets offensively. The C’s did a nice job of passing all the way around, amassing 23 assists as a group (led by Rondo’s 7).
3. Setting the defensive tone early: In two of the Celtics three preseason games, they’ve held opponents to fewer than 20 points in the first quarter and 40 points in the half — building an early lead and dictating the tone from the tip. I’m sure Doc enjoyed Jermaine O’Neal  fitting quickly in the team’s defensive mindset, blocking three shots in his first six minutes in a Celtics uniform.
THREE THINGS THAT WENT WRONG
2. Shaq’s foul trouble: In just 16:37 on the floor, Shaq picked up five fouls. While he has whistled for one of them for standing still as Jarrett Jack  charged into him (kinda like a fly smacking into a windshield), that still spells trouble. With Kendrick Perkins  sidelined, the C’s can’t afford to have one of the O’Neals consistently in foul trouble.
3. Too many turnovers: After committing 20 and 18 turnovers, respectively, against the 76ers and Nets in their first two preseason games, the Celtics again got careless with the ball, committing 22 turnovers. Rondo led the way with five giveaways, but the bigger crime was the nine turnovers from post players (Semih Erden 4, KG 3, J. O’Neal 2).
1. Guard the 3-pointer: The Raptors knocked down 5-of-11 3-pointers on the night, led by Leandro Barbosa , who knocked down a pair on fairly open looks as the Raptors took a brief second-half lead. While it may not have hurt them against the Raptors, giving open looks to teams like the Magic is only gonna hurt their chances. Guys rotating defensively need to push that extra mile to get out to the wings on those looks.
Article printed from Green Street: http://greenstreet.weei.com
URL to article: http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2010/10/10/fast-break-celtics-tame-raptors/
URLs in this post:
 Nate Robinson: http://media.weei.com/basketball/nate-robinson.htm
 Celtics: http://media.weei.com/basketball/boston-celtics.htm
 Delonte West: http://media.weei.com/basketball/delonte-west.htm
 Marquis Daniels: http://media.weei.com/basketball/marquis-daniels.htm
 Doc Rivers: http://media.weei.com/basketball/doc-rivers.htm
 Paul Pierce: http://media.weei.com/basketball/paul-pierce.htm
 Kevin Garnett: http://media.weei.com/basketball/kevin-garnett.htm
 Rajon Rondo: http://media.weei.com/basketball/rajon-rondo.htm
 Shaquille O’Neal: http://media.weei.com/basketball/shaquille-oneal.htm
 Jermaine O’Neal: http://media.weei.com/basketball/jermaine-oneal.htm
 Jarrett Jack: http://media.weei.com/basketball/jarrett-jack.htm
 Kendrick Perkins: http://media.weei.com/basketball/kendrick-perkins.htm
 Leandro Barbosa: http://media.weei.com/basketball/leandro-barbosa.htm
 > Fast Break: Celtics tame Raptors" data-url="http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2010/10/10/fast-break-celtics-tame-raptors/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2014 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.