Delonte West gets closer to return
|02.11.11 at 2:27 pm ET|
Delonte West wanted to play Thursday night against the Lakers. He went to the Celtics medical staff and argued his case. They debated the issue and that debate is what caused Doc Rivers to say, no. Not yet.
“I said if we have to go back and forth on it, then the answer is no,” Rivers said. “So, he’s going to practice Saturday. I would actually like him to play in the New Jersey game [next Wednesday] just to get him one game [before the All-Star break].”
Rivers left the door open for West to come back against Miami on Sunday. It will largely depend on how West does at practice, who went through his first full-contact work this week.
The Celtics may need him. Nate Robinson left the Lakers game at the 8:45 mark of the second quarter with a bruised knee and didn’t return. Without Robinson the Celtics bench was reduced to Glen Davis and Von Wafer. Rookie Avery Bradley played less than two minutes to finish out the third quarter because of foul trouble and fellow rookie Luke Harangody was a DNP-coaches decision.
The Celtics have been waiting for West for most of the season. He missed the first 10 games with a suspension and then broke his wrist just five games into his return. His return will help their backcourt depth, which has been depleted with the loss of Marquis Daniels.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Austin Ainge Offers Window to C's Pre-Draft Process
- Trade Possibilities for C's with Draft Approaching
- Latest Buzz Surrounding Jamal Crawford, Kristaps Porzingis, Celtics'...
- Latest NBA Trade Rumors, Buzz
- Ranking Celtics' Biggest NBA Draft Needs
- Buzz Surrounding Ty Lawson, Celtics Draft Plans and More
- Realistic Targets for Celtics to Chase During Offseason