Wake up with the Celtics and your daily dose of Irish Coffee …
Ever since Marquis Daniels suffered a bruised spinal cord on Feb. 6, it’s been no secret the Celtics want to make a trade, and Lord knows they’re active. Just look at the names they’ve reportedly inquired about.
The Celtics don’t have to make a deal. They’ll be NBA title contenders no matter what. If they do add someone, they’ll have to part ways with Marquis Daniels, Nate Robinson, Von Wafer, Semih Erden, Avery Bradley or Luke Harangody. In a lot of cases, that someone wouldn’t be an upgrade over any of those guys.
So, let’s sort all the rumors into three categories: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.
THE GOOD: UPGRADES
Suns forward Grant Hill
- Contract: Signed through this season ($3.32 million)
- Statistics: 30.4 minutes, 13.9 points, 4.5 rebounds, 2.4 assists, 0.8 steals, 0.5 blocks, 49.5 FG%, 35.8 3-PT FG%, 84.0 FT%
- Rumor: Among the places the Celtics have looked is Phoenix. Three sourdes confirmed the clubs spoke about three Suns wings.
- Chances: “That looks like it’s gone,” said one Herald source, “but you never know.”
- What it would take: Daniels and either Bradley, Erden or Harangody
Rockets forward Shane Battier
Contract: Signed through this season ($7.35 million)
- Statistics: 30.8 minutes, 8.6 points, 4.8 rebounds, 2.6 assists, 0.9 steals, 1.2 blocks, 45.4 FG%, 64.9 3-PT FG%, 64.9 FT%
- Rumor: The Rockets would be tempted to make the deal if the Celtics would include center Semih Erden, though we’ll probably never know since Boston apparently wants to keep and develop him.
- Chances: Houston-Boston deal involving Shane Battier not happening, says source close to situation
- What it would take: Robinson, Bradley and Erden or Harangody; or Daniels and Robinson