Troy Murphy active vs. Suns, says ‘I fit in better with the way Boston plays’
|03.02.11 at 7:12 pm ET|
After being bought out by the Warriors, Murphy, who began the season with New Jersey, narrowed his choices of potential suitors to the Celtics and the Heat before ultimately signing with the C’s.
“I think it’s the way they play,” Murphy said of choosing the Celtics over the Heat. “I think watching both teams, I think I fit in better with the way Boston plays, the way they spread the floor, and I just like the way they play.”
Murphy, who averaged has averaged 11.8 points and 8.5 rebounds per game since entering the league in 2001, has never played in the postseason. He said he weighed the Celtics’ chances of prolonged playoff success before making his choice.
“That was the most important factor,” he said. “Going to a team that was not only going to be in the playoffs, but getting ready for a long playoff run. In looking at the teams, I feel like the Celtics have all the potential to do that.”
Asked what his role will be with the Celtics, Murphy said “I think just the ability to stretch the floor and help on the defensive glass. I think spread things out and let [Rajon] Rondo drive, pretty much.”
The 30-year-old will wear No. 30 for the Celtics.
“There aren’t too many numbers that you can pick here,” he said with a grin, “so that was really it.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Isaiah Thomas to Play vs. Wizards After Missing 2 Games with Knee Injury
- Ray Allen Not Invited to Rajon Rondo's NBA Title Celebration After...
- Isaiah Thomas Will Miss Next 2 Games for Celtics with Knee Injury
- Al Horford, Avery Bradley Out vs. Suns with Elbow, Hamstring Injuries
- Avery Bradley Returns from Achilles Injury for Celtics vs. Hawks
- Isaiah Thomas Criticizes DeMarre Carroll for Flagrant Foul in Celtics vs...