Report: Carlos Arroyo is the newest new Celtic
|03.05.11 at 3:22 pm ET|
WALTHAM — The Celtics search for a back-up point guard has ended with Carlos Arroyo, according to the Boston Herald.
The paper reported Saturday that the team was looking at several options but favored him over veteran Antonio Daniels, who was attempting a comeback with the Texas Legends of the D-League. The Herald reports Arroyo was signed to a pro-rated veteran minimum contract for the rest of the season, and that he could join the team in time for Sunday’s game against Milwaukee.
Arroyo was waived by the Heat earlier this week to make room for the signing of Mike Bibby. In 49 games this year (42 starts) for the Heat, Arroyo averaged 5.6 points and 2.0 assists per game in just over 20 minutes a night.
The move was necessitated when Delonte West went down with a sprained right ankle last weekend and Von Wafer strained his right calf during Friday’s win over the Warriors.
To make room for Arroyo, the team informed center Chris Johnson after Saturday’s practice they would not be extending his 10-day contract.
- Boston Celtics Daily Links 12/6
- Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to the Knicks
- Could the Celtics make a move for Greg Monroe?
- Deron Williams expected to play vs. Celtics on Tuesday
- Thursday's Leftovers: Crawford's hand is wrapped, Ainge discusses...
- At the Quarter Pole: Team Statistical Breakdown
- Boston Celtics Daily Links 12/5