Kevin Garnett: Rajon Rondo’s playing hurt
|03.17.11 at 12:41 am ET|
Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo‘s recent struggles have been well documented. While he appeared more explosive on the parquet, he still went scoreless and rebound-less while recording eight assists against the Pacers on Wednesday night.
That (lack of) production led to this question posed to teammate Kevin Garnett: What’s wrong with Rajon Rondo?
“Rondo’s playing hurt,” said Garnett. “He’s hurting. He’s giving us everything he has. He’s grinding. He’s playing countless minutes for us, and he’s not playing like a washed-up guy.”
Asked if he thought it was Rondo’s tweaked ankle that was giving the C’s floor general problems lately, Garnett responded curtly, “I don’t know. You’d have to talk to him.”
On a less serious note, Garnett made a fantastic comparison between the Celtics and the “Ocean’s Eleven” cast, especially upon the inevitable returns of Shaquille O’Neal and (hopefully) Jermaine O’Neal.
“You know what’s crazy?” said Garnett. “This is like a good movie. As a matter of fact, I’m going to use ‘Ocean’s Eleven.’ You haven’t seen Matt Damon. You haven’t seen Brad Pitt. You haven’t seen Bernie Mac. You’ve just seen [George] Clooney and a couple other guys.’
So, which character is Garnett? “I’m Saul,” he said. Saul Bloom, of course, is the old pro who comes out of retirement to play a valuable role in the casino heist.
Garnett also touched on a few other hot-button topics from the Celtics’ victory …
- On Delonte West’s return: “He’s a seasoned vet. He’s been in the thick of it. He’s been in countless playoff games. He has the experience. You kind of expect that from him. Whatever the perception is of Delonte isn’t the reality of what we deal with every day. He’s a very, very vocal guy — very smart. He definitely knows X’s and O’s, and he’s tough as nails. To get a guy like that back in your lineup, it makes your team better overnight.’
- On Jeff Green’s 19-point effort: “Jeff Green is so versatile. If you put a three on him, he’s too small. If you put a four on him, he’s too big. He’s too quick. He has so much he can go to, and I think he’s going to pick up from some of the vets and the personal parts of the game where he can make himself better. He’s an unfinished product. When he puts that all together, he’s going to be something special.”
- On the surging Bulls: “I don’t really care about Chicago.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Austin Ainge Offers Window to C's Pre-Draft Process
- Trade Possibilities for C's with Draft Approaching
- Latest Buzz Surrounding Jamal Crawford, Kristaps Porzingis, Celtics'...
- Latest NBA Trade Rumors, Buzz
- Ranking Celtics' Biggest NBA Draft Needs
- Buzz Surrounding Ty Lawson, Celtics Draft Plans and More
- Realistic Targets for Celtics to Chase During Offseason