|Wyc Grousbeck on M&M: Kendrick Perkins ‘was going to walk’||04.29.11 at 1:11 pm ET|
Celtics co-owner Wyc Grousbeck stopped by for a visit with the Mut & Merloni show Friday afternoon as the C’s prepare for their second-round series against the Heat. To hear the interview, go to the Mut & Merloni audio on demand page.
Grousbeck discussed the trade with the Thunder that sent Kendrick Perkins to Oklahoma City. “We’re not here to trash Perk,” Grousbeck said. “What we’re here to say is, We needed, obviously, a backup for Paul [Pierce] and Ray [Allen]. This series will show, somebody needs to come in with quality — Jeff Green — and step up. And that’s how, hopefully, we can give these guys a fight.”
Added Grousbeck: “We love Perk. We miss him, no question. But we didn’t need another center as much as we needed someone to back up Paul and Ray. That’s the theory of the trade. We’ll see how it works out.”
Regarding Perkins’ contract issues, Grousbeck said: “Perk was going to walk at the end of June. That was clear. We offered him everything we could, and it wasn’t enough.”
Grousbeck insisted the trade is as much about this season as the years ahead. Said Grousbeck: “It’s also a trade for the future. But our principal idea is, Improve for this year if we can, and what are the pros and cons. And you back Danny [Ainge]. Danny’s got us to the championship, and I’m right there with him. The rest of us are all right there with him.”
- 2013 NBA Draft Prospect Profile: Mason Plumlee
- NBA Draft Lottery: Cleveland Cavs get top pick, Washington Wizards move...
- The Pelicans rumor: Paul Pierce and Avery Bradley for Eric Gordon
- Boston Celtics Daily Links - 5/21
- Terrence Williams tweets - thanks people for support
- Terrence Williams future with Boston Celtics in doubt
- Terrence Williams bail set at $25,000