Shaquille O’Neal reportedly resists statue at alma mater
|05.11.11 at 1:17 pm ET|
Celtics center Shaquille O’Neal reportedly is resisting plans by LSU to erect a life-sized statue of the 7-footer in front of the university’s new basketball practice facility.
According to the website Sports by Brooks, Shaq has donated “multiple millions” funds to his alma mater but always requested that his name not be placed on any of the new facilities he helped fund.
The website reports that the school already has competed the statue of O’Neal dunking the ball in an effort to convince him to accept the honor. There also are plans to have three other statues, representing Pete Maravich, Bob Petit and women’s standout Seimone Augustus. O’Neal reportedly has donated the money for the Augustus statue.
- An emotional week ahead for the Celtics
- State of the Celtics
- Brad Stevens keeping everyone on an even keel
- It's a laugher: Celtics trounce Knicks 114 - 73
- Boston Celtics Daily Links 12/8
- Celtics visit Knicks looking for 3rd straight win
- State of the Celtics: Can Jeff Green be a top two player on a contending...