NBA Draft’s Potential Celtics: Georgia G Travis Leslie
|06.04.11 at 10:51 am ET|
WEEI.com continues to provide daily insight and analysis on the 2011 NBA draft. This is one in a series of profiles of players who might be available for the Celtics to select with one of their two picks (25th and 55th overall).
Weight: 205 pounds
Stats: 14.4 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 2.9 apg
What he brings: Just a quick glance at his size and statistics reveals that Leslie is no ordinary player. Draft Express called him one of the best athletes in the draft and while he’s not much a 3-point shooter or ballhandler, he is still an efficient offensive player, averaging 1.34 points per possession used in his junior season at Georgia.
If he can improve his range he could be a dynamic change-of-pace player in someone’s rotation because he can rebound and has all the tools to be an excellent defensive player. In a best-case scenario Leslie has the ability to guard multiple positions and his perimeter game will catch up with his obvious skills around the rim and inside 10 feet.
Where the Celtics could get him: First or second round
What they’re saying: “He’s an athletic freak … a guy that is capable athletically of just about anything.” — South Carolina coach Darrin Horn
Notes: Leslie has already made waves, comparing himself favorably to former Celtic Tony Allen at the draft combine, who predictably wasn’t happy about it. Leslie tried to backtrack, but Draft Express has the video.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Isaiah Thomas to Play vs. Wizards After Missing 2 Games with Knee Injury
- Ray Allen Not Invited to Rajon Rondo's NBA Title Celebration After...
- Isaiah Thomas Will Miss Next 2 Games for Celtics with Knee Injury
- Al Horford, Avery Bradley Out vs. Suns with Elbow, Hamstring Injuries
- Avery Bradley Returns from Achilles Injury for Celtics vs. Hawks
- Isaiah Thomas Criticizes DeMarre Carroll for Flagrant Foul in Celtics vs...