Ray Allen exercises option to return to Celtics
|06.07.11 at 12:33 pm ET|
In a move that should surprise no one, Ray Allen has exercised his option for the second year of his contract that will pay him $10 million next season. After the Celtics were eliminated by Miami, Allen said that he intended to stay with the team.
With Allen on board the Celtics have six players under contract for next season: Rajon Rondo, Allen, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Jermaine O’Neal and Avery Bradley. With about $65 million committed in salaries the Celtics will almost certainly be over the salary cap. However, by not signing an extension Allen is set to come off the books after next season along with Garnett and O’Neal.
Allen played in 80 games last season and returned to the All-Star game after averaging 16.5 points while shooting a career-high 44 percent from 3-point range. He also broke Reggie Miller’s all-time record for most 3-pointers made in a career.
He will turn 36 in July and the track record for perimeter players in their late 30′s is not great, but Allen is one of the best conditioned athletes in the sport and the Celtics feel he has several more years left in him.
- Jeff Green 8th in front court, Rajon Rondo 6th in back court in All Star...
- Boston Celtics Daily Links 12/12
- Doc Rivers Triumphant in Return Against Boston Celtics: Highlights &...
- Doc Rivers Tears Up in Post Game Press Conference After His Los Angeles...
- Doc Rivers Moves On, Brad Stevens Pushes Forward - Torch Passed In Boston
- Doc has his day, C's fall to Clips 88-96
- Boston Celtics' Moving Tribute Video to Doc Rivers at TD Garden