NBA Draft’s Potential Celtics: Hofstra G Charles Jenkins
|06.09.11 at 4:53 pm ET|
WEEI.com continues to provide daily insight and analysis on the 2011 NBA draft. This is one in a series of profiles of players who might be available for the Celtics to select with one of their two picks (25th and 55th overall).
Weight: 215 pounds
Stats: 22.6 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 3.4 apg
What he brings: Jenkins’ numbers are impressive — he’s a scoring machine who also made 42 percent of his 3-pointers — but take a closer look, as Sports Illustrated’s Luke Winn did, and they tell an even better story. Jenkins was not only efficient in ISO situations, but also as a spot-up jump shooter. Essentially, he has an NBA-ready offensive game.
The negatives on Jenkins are that he played in a non-major conference, although the Colonial Athletic Association is better than most people think, and he’s on the smallish side for a combination guard. He’s also 22 years old. But in a draft that’s heavy on projection, Jenkins stands out for his production.
Where the Celtics could get him: First round
What they’re saying: “Hofstra’s Charles Jenkins is the sleeper of this draft. The 6-3 senior is regarded as one of the country’s best mid-major talents, and was the CAA’s Player of the Year for two straight seasons, but few were aware of just how dominant of a scorer he really was.” — Luke Winn, Sports Illustrated
Notes: Jenkins, who grew up in Queens, lists Pearl Washington as his favorite player. If he is drafted in the first round he will become the first New York City public school alum since former Celtic Sebastian Telfair to be taken in the first round.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Isaiah Thomas to Play vs. Wizards After Missing 2 Games with Knee Injury
- Ray Allen Not Invited to Rajon Rondo's NBA Title Celebration After...
- Isaiah Thomas Will Miss Next 2 Games for Celtics with Knee Injury
- Al Horford, Avery Bradley Out vs. Suns with Elbow, Hamstring Injuries
- Avery Bradley Returns from Achilles Injury for Celtics vs. Hawks
- Isaiah Thomas Criticizes DeMarre Carroll for Flagrant Foul in Celtics vs...