NBA Draft’s Potential Celtics: Georgia F Trey Thompkins
|06.14.11 at 6:53 pm ET|
WEEI.com continues to provide daily insight and analysis on the 2011 NBA draft. This is one in a series of profiles of players who might be available for the Celtics to select with one of their two picks (25th and 55th overall).
Weight: 240 pounds
Stats: 16.4 ppg, 7.6 rpg
What he brings: Thompkins is a solid big man who has good hands and a nice touch. He lacks athleticism but makes up for it with his solid offensive game. He is most effective in the halfcourt offense, where he can knock down a jump shot or post up on the block. He is also very comfortable with the pick-and-pop play. He isn’t much of a shot blocker but uses his length and soft hands to rebound well.
Where the Celtics could get him: First round
What they’re saying: “He’s got a high basketball IQ, but I think it’d be fair to say that most people in the league want to make sure that he’s ready for the physicality of the NBA on a nightly basis as a power forward. I think he went a long way today to show us he can do that.’ ‘ 76ers director of player personnel Courtney Witte, after Thompkins worked out for the team in early June
Notes: In 2009, Thompkins was the the second-leading scorer on USA Basketball’s U-19 team, which went 9-0 and won the World Championships in New Zealand. In 2010, he was part of the U.S. select team that scrimmaged for two weeks against the national team, which was made up of NBA players. The Hawks drafted his father, Howard Thompkins Jr., in 1981.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Isaiah Thomas to Play vs. Wizards After Missing 2 Games with Knee Injury
- Ray Allen Not Invited to Rajon Rondo's NBA Title Celebration After...
- Isaiah Thomas Will Miss Next 2 Games for Celtics with Knee Injury
- Al Horford, Avery Bradley Out vs. Suns with Elbow, Hamstring Injuries
- Avery Bradley Returns from Achilles Injury for Celtics vs. Hawks
- Isaiah Thomas Criticizes DeMarre Carroll for Flagrant Foul in Celtics vs...