NBA Draft’s potential Celtics: Latvian F Davis Bertans
|06.22.11 at 4:20 pm ET|
WEEI.com continues to provide daily insight and analysis on the 2011 NBA draft. This is one in a series of profiles of players who might be available for the Celtics to select with one of their two picks (25th and 55th overall).
School: Latvia (International)
Weight: 210 pounds
What he brings: At age 18, Bertans is one of the younger players in the draft. He brings a smooth jumper with NBA range and the ability to square up and fire very quickly. Bertans can shoot off the dribble, but he excels in catch-and-shoot situations.
He isn’t overly athletic but can finish strong at the rim. An above-average passer, Bertans works hard at both ends of the court However, he needs to add muscle and improve his foot speed to play against the stronger, faster players in the NBA.
Nike International director Rich Shoebrooks called Bertans the best shooter to play on the Hoop Summit International squad since Dirk Nowitzki.
Where the Celtics could get him: First round
What they’re saying: “My best part of the game is shooting 3-pointers. I can shoot when I’m open, I can shoot in defender’s face, I can shoot even in transition. I run fast breaks, and I can also pass well.” — Bertans, when asked to describe his game
Notes: Bertans won a bronze medal at the 2010 U-18 European Championships. Bertans indicated that he would pull out of the draft without a first-round promise.
- Boston Celtics Daily Links 12/8
- Celtics visit Knicks looking for 3rd straight win
- State of the Celtics: Can Jeff Green be a top two player on a contending...
- Boston Celtics Daily Links 12/7
- State of the Celtics: Is this team too talented to get a high draft pick?
- Should the Boston Celtics Still be Tanking?
- Kris Humphries Seizing the Moment, Leads Boston Celtics past Denver...