NBA Draft’s potential Celtics: Purdue F JaJuan Johnson
|06.22.11 at 11:12 am ET|
WEEI.com continues to provide daily insight and analysis on the 2011 NBA draft. This is one in a series of profiles of players who might be available for the Celtics to select with one of their two picks (25th and 55th overall).
Weight: 220 pounds
Stats: 20.5 ppg, 8.6 rpg, 2.3 bpg
What he brings: One of the better athletes in this year’s draft class, Johnson is an impressive leaper who excels in the open court. He is an above-the-rim player and scores a lot of his points on dunks.
Already tall for 6-10, Johnson brings a 7-2 wingspan and excellent shot-blocking ability. He also appears to have put on 5-10 pounds of muscle since finishing his senior year. Johnson has an adequate jumper and can knock down open shots. He will have to put in extra work to extend his range to the NBA 3-point line.
He needs to improve on his post game. Though he has developed a right-handed hook, Johnson is much more threatening with the ball driving towards the rim than in the low post.
Where the Celtics could get him: First round
What they’re saying: “He’s come a long way. He started out as just a skinny kid that could jump. Now he can score. He can rebound. He can block shots. He’s improved every part of his game.” ‘ Illinois center Mike Tisdale
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Isaiah Thomas to Play vs. Wizards After Missing 2 Games with Knee Injury
- Ray Allen Not Invited to Rajon Rondo's NBA Title Celebration After...
- Isaiah Thomas Will Miss Next 2 Games for Celtics with Knee Injury
- Al Horford, Avery Bradley Out vs. Suns with Elbow, Hamstring Injuries
- Avery Bradley Returns from Achilles Injury for Celtics vs. Hawks
- Isaiah Thomas Criticizes DeMarre Carroll for Flagrant Foul in Celtics vs...