NBA Draft’s Potential Celtics: Cleveland State G Norris Cole
|06.23.11 at 8:25 am ET|
WEEI.com continues to provide daily insight and analysis on the 2011 NBA draft. This is one in a series of profiles of players who might be available for the Celtics to select with one of their two picks (25th and 55th overall).
School: Cleveland State
Weight: 174 pounds
Stats: 21.7 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 5.3 apg, 2.2 spg
What he brings: There isn’t much Cole can’t do. His thin build combined with the fact that he played at a mid-major school allowed him to fly under the radar. However, as the draft approaches, his stock has been steadily rising, and for good reason. Cole is one of the most complete point guards in the draft.
He can score from anywhere on the court, including the charity stripe. Cole averaged 7.4 free throws per game his senior year and converted 85.3 percent of them. Defensively, he is a superb 1-on-1 player. Cole rarely gets beat of the dribble, and he managed to tally over two steals per game his senior year. He is an adequate passer and a willing rebounder.
Where the Celtics could get him: First or second round
What they’re saying: “Given the right opportunity, he can compete with anybody at that level. He’s really out to prove to people that can happen. … If Norris went to Kentucky or Duke, he’d be a lottery pick. He’s that good.” ‘ Former NBA guard Sedric Toney
Notes: Cole was named 2010-11 Horizon League Player of the Year. He has been rocking a flat top haircut since senior year and joked that Chris Mullin told him it was “the best flat top in the country.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Isaiah Thomas to Play vs. Wizards After Missing 2 Games with Knee Injury
- Ray Allen Not Invited to Rajon Rondo's NBA Title Celebration After...
- Isaiah Thomas Will Miss Next 2 Games for Celtics with Knee Injury
- Al Horford, Avery Bradley Out vs. Suns with Elbow, Hamstring Injuries
- Avery Bradley Returns from Achilles Injury for Celtics vs. Hawks
- Isaiah Thomas Criticizes DeMarre Carroll for Flagrant Foul in Celtics vs...