JaJuan Johnson on D&C: I just want to learn from veterans
|06.28.11 at 10:15 am ET|
Given that the Celtics are a veteran team that hopes to compete for a title, the 27th overall pick may have a hard time finding regular minutes, something Johnson said he’s ready to deal with.
“I don’t expect too much,” Johnson said. “Really, this year I just want to take in as much as I can from those older guys. Just learn from those guys and really just continue to get better as a player.”
The 221-pound forward is trying to bulk up so he is better-suited to play forward in the NBA. Johnson said that it’s a matter of diet, which he hopes to get straightened out in short order.
“When I was back in Chicago, I had a chef, and he was cooking for me every day, pretty much helping me with calories, the amount of calories I needed to put in each day,” he said. “Once I get in [to Boston on Thursday] I’ll get back on track.”
As for having his college teammate join him in Boston, Johnson seemed thrilled. E’Twaun Moore, with whom Johnson played at Purdue, was taken by the C’s in the second round.
“It’s a huge comfort factor,” Johnson said of the team also drafting Moore. “He was with me freshman year, in college. To have somebody else at this stage is almost unheard of. It’s definitely a blessing to have him with me.”
Johnson said he was told by Doc Rivers and Danny Ainge that he was coming to a respectable organization, and noted that he’s ready to do whatever he can to help it.
“It’s a team with tradition,” he said. “They do things the right way. We have a lot of work to do, but I’m willing to put in all that work, just to become a better player.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Isaiah Thomas to Play vs. Wizards After Missing 2 Games with Knee Injury
- Ray Allen Not Invited to Rajon Rondo's NBA Title Celebration After...
- Isaiah Thomas Will Miss Next 2 Games for Celtics with Knee Injury
- Al Horford, Avery Bradley Out vs. Suns with Elbow, Hamstring Injuries
- Avery Bradley Returns from Achilles Injury for Celtics vs. Hawks
- Isaiah Thomas Criticizes DeMarre Carroll for Flagrant Foul in Celtics vs...