Your daily Rajon Rondo update: With Kendrick Perkins
|08.10.11 at 8:23 am ET|
Kendrick Perkins and Rajon Rondo will play together again.
Of course, it’s only for one day — Friday at 1 p.m. — in the Ozen (Beaumont, Texas) High gymnasium where Perkins played prior to joining the Celtics as the No. 27 overall pick in the 2003 NBA draft.
With As the culmination of a three-day basketball camp in his hometown, Perkins will host a celebrity all-star game, featuring former C’s teammate Rondo, current Thunder teammates Kevin Durant, James Harden and Eric Maynor as well as Bucks guard Stephen Jackson.
With the news that Durant just began negotiations on a potential deal to play alongside Deron Williams in Turkey, you can bet news outlets will be making the 90-minute trek from Houston to Beaumont.
Houston native Jackson and Rondo have long been friends of Perkins, also attending the former Celtics center’s 2009 bachelor party and wedding. And it appears Perk’s become fast friends with Durant, Harden and Maynor after being traded to Oklahoma City in February and playing just 34 games with his new team.
The news is just one more encouraging sign that Rondo — who tweeted a photo on Tuesday of his healing dislocated left elbow, knees and ankles wrapped after a lengthy workout — is on schedule to be NBA game ready when the lockout ends. Here’s a quick rundown of Rondo’s busy offseason schedule so far …
- July 14: Rondo hosted his annual basketball camp in his hometown of Louisville, Ky., revealing to reporters: “I’m still in a little bit of pain right now, but the swelling is down. The only thing is there’s swelling in my joint. I’ll be fine, it just takes time. I’ve got a couple more weeks that I’m off.”
- July 26: Rondo told Yahoo! Sports the Celtics let the Perkins trade affect them too much.
- July 27: We discovered evidence of Rondo’s healing elbow during his Las Vegas vacation.
- July 28: We learned Rondo will be playing in an August 15 exhibition game against the Dominican Republic national team.
- July 29: University of Kentucky head coach John Calipari alerted us that Rondo will enroll at the school in order to practice and help coach the team along with fellow Wildcats John Wall and Eric Bledsoe.
- July 31: Rondo attended Patriots training camp and shared some time with head coach Bill Belichick, nose tackle Vince Wilfork and recently acquired wide receiver Chad Ochocinco.
- Aug. 2: Rondo and Red Bull presented Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino a check for $76,500 to upgrade the city’s basketball courts. There, he revealed to ESPN.com that he has full range of motion in the elbow and the Celtics veterans may organize group workouts if the NBA lockout lingers.
- An emotional week ahead for the Celtics
- State of the Celtics
- Brad Stevens keeping everyone on an even keel
- It's a laugher: Celtics trounce Knicks 114 - 73
- Boston Celtics Daily Links 12/8
- Celtics visit Knicks looking for 3rd straight win
- State of the Celtics: Can Jeff Green be a top two player on a contending...