Celtics on eBay: Tommy Heinsohn’s Hall of Fame thoughts
|08.26.11 at 3:21 pm ET|
Yup, it’s time to take you into the weekend with the fifth edition of Celtics on eBay. Basically we ask, “Would you pay [a pretty penny] for [current or former member of the Celtics]’ [eBay item]?” Confusing enough? Good. Let’s get started.
Last week was the first item I even would have considered buying, but this week is the first item I’ve actually bid on. For real. I just bid 20 bucks for Tommy Heinsohn‘s handwritten thoughts on his enshrinement day in 1986 at the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. Now, I know what you’re thinking. Twenty dollars is a lot of money. Where does a WEEI.com blogger get that kind of coin? Well, I had to save up months for it, Ok. Go ahead and try to out-bid me.
If you can’t read what Heinsohn wrote, believe it or not he actually doesn’t mention a single referee’s missed call:
“My career in basketball taught me one thing. Glory is not what it’s all about, but rather the mastering of one’s self in all ways to meet a challenge. The only recognition needed is by one’s own understanding of what they’re doing or what they would do better.
“Yes it was nice to be selected as a Hall of Famer but it was not the cap off of a career that justified my efforts. That was achieved years before when I learned how to focus who I am on what I worked at and liked.”
Signed: “Tom Heinsohn”
That deserves like a thousand Tommy Points, right? Oh, yeah, and it’s his 77th birthday. You’ve got to be kidding me!!!
Want to waste more time this weekend? Vote on these overpriced/awesome Celtics items from previous weeks:
- Ray Allen‘s Nike Air Jordan VIII shoes for $1,450 (“hell no”: 167; “hell yes”: 114)
- (Not) Tony Gaffney‘s 1-carat diamond earrings for $3,950 (“hell no”: 89; “hell yes”: 6)
- Arnie Risen‘s 1957 Celtics contract for $1,200 (“hell no”: 36; “hell yes”: 11)
- Red Auerbach‘s signed cigar for $310 (“hell yes” 66; “hell no” 15)
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Why Celtics Will Be Better Than Expected in 2014-15
- Should Celtics Fans Buy or Sell Rondo's Hot Start?
- Lessons Learned from Celtics so Far
- Why Green Will Finally Succeed in Boston
- C's Big Offense Showing a Sign of Things to Come?
- Green's Transition to PF Could Reshape NBA Career Arc
- Could Rondo's Play Increase the Chances He's Dealt?