- Green Street - http://greenstreet.weei.com -
10 Things I Heard About Celtics IV
Posted By Ben Rohrbach On August 30, 2011 @ 12:26 pm In General | 1 Comment
On another slow Celtics news day, there’s still plenty to learn about Boston’s green men. Here are 10 more C’s links of interest we discovered over the past few days (‘10 Things I Heard About Celtics’ I , II  and III ) ‘¦
10. The success of the 1985-86 Celtics (67-15; 40-1 home; 15-3 playoffs) stemmed from not only talent but intellectualism, according to this recent NBA.com puff piece . The team featured six future NBA head coaches: Larry Bird , Kevin McHale , Dennis Johnson , Danny Ainge, Rick Carlisle  and Sam Vincent. Not to mention quote machine  Bill Walton . Here’s what McHale and Walton had to say on the subject …
9. Reason No. 893 Celtics guard Ray Allen  is cool: While every other NBA player is seemingly shopping himself overseas or making headlines in exhibition games against questionable competition, the 3-point king works on his golf game as if it were just another off-season.
Last month, Allen played in Lake Tahoe. Two weeks ago, in Connecticut. Next week, in New Jersey at the Liberty Cup Charity Golf Tournament  with golfer Natalie Gulbis and “Desperate Housewives” star Kyle MacLachlan . All for charity.
I guess that’s why Allen was cast as Jesus Shuttlesworth in “He Got Game” and not someone like Kobe Bryant  (interesting tidbit: Kevin Garnett  and Stephon Marbury  were reportedly approached for that role , but their agent wanted a guarantee that one of them would get the part).
8. As we’ve discussed previously, Austin Rivers and his Duke basketball teammates are traveling China and the United Arab Emirates, crushing every team in their path. Celtics head coach Doc Rivers  is also with the team to watch his son make fools out of people internationally. Dubai newspaper Gulf News caught up with  the pair that hopes to soon become the third father-son NBA duo in history (Jan Van Breda Kolff and Butch Van Breda Kolff; Mike Dunleavy  Sr. and Mike Dunleavy Jr.). Here’s what Doc had to say about his son and vice versa …
Austin isn’t the only one heaping praise on his father. Pistons head coach Lawrence Frank  told the Detroit Free Press  he’s better for having sat on the bench beside Rivers as a Celtics assistant last season:
“Working for Doc was a tremendous experience. To me, Doc is elite, and I think the reason Doc is elite and is the total package is all the experience he’s had.
“Obviously the most recent memory is the (2008 title), but Doc also was a part of losing a bunch of games in a row, so I think those things helped shape him.”
7. Kevin Garnett was scheduled to appear  at the opening gala for the U.S. Open  along with Tony Bennett, Alec Baldwin and New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg. You know, the guys you’d expect KG to be hanging around with. Garnett’s good buddy Mardy Fish played the first match of the tournament on Monday, and defeated Germany’s Tobias Kamke in straight sets.
Meanwhile, sportswriters are imagining  KG and Rajon Rondo  as professional tennis players. I don’t know about you, but I’d argue Ray Allen would be the best tennis player on the Celtics. He’s got that whole endurance, follow through, repetition thing down pretty good.
6. Rumors continue to swirl around Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo joining John Calipari ‘s University of Kentucky men’s basketball coaching staff as an assistant during the NBA lockout. Syracuse University blog Orange Slice Sports cited sources who claim Rondo will mentor Wildcats point guard Marquis Teague and Ryan Harrow. Now, I’m not sure whether or not those sources are actually similar reports speculating that Rondo could serve as a student assistant after he recently confirmed that he has been taking credits towards his diploma this summer and may also enroll this fall if the lockout lingers.
5. As former Celtics backup point guard Stephon Marbury is reportedly headed back  to the Chinese Basketball Association, Kevin Garnett arrived home safely from his trip to China, as did Paul Pierce . The same can’t be said for Michael Beasley, Pierce’s Continental Basketball Championships teammate (pictures ). The Timberwolves  forward reportedly injured (broke?) his wrist  as their team finished third. According to Red’s Army , Pierce scored just three points on 1-of-4 shooting in 14 minutes. That’s a long trip for three points.
At least Pierce got a chocolate figurine of himself  from his Chinese fans and placed his 2008 NBA championship ring atop  the Great Wall of China. And thankfully he survived this tumble over the scorer’s table in his final game of the Continental Basketball Championships (click on the picture for video footage) …
Oh, and in case you missed Pierce’s renovation of his high school as part of his Truth on Health campaign  on HGTV’s “Home by Novogratz” (you’ve got to love the Maria Menounos  and McLovin  cameos) …
4. Celtics Hall of Famers Bob Cousy  and Tommy Heinsohn were the first two National Basketball Players Association (NBPA) presidents from 1954-65, so they have a unique perspective on the NBA labor dispute. Of course, it’s a different perspective from today’s NBA union reps, since the most they respectively earned for a season was $35,000 and $28,500. Here’s what Heinsohn told NBA.com  in a recent interview …
Now, if that doesn’t give the players some perspective, then I don’t know what will. Get a deal done, guys.
3. (Recent loser of a game of knockout  to a Spanish teenager) LeBron James . Kevin Durant . Chris Paul . Carmelo Anthony. Jeff Green ? Yup, that’s right. While their league enters its third month of a lockout, members of the NBA elite (and Green) will play on the same floor in one of the most anticipated exhibition games of the off-season on Tuesday night.
James, Paul, Anthony, Gary Neal, Donte Greene, Josh Selby, Eric Bledsoe and Eddy Curry  will make up Baltimore’s Melo League squad. Durant, Green, DeMarcus Cousins , Brandon Jennings , Ty Lawson , Trevor Booker, Austin Daye, Ater Majok, Arinze Onuaku, Anthony “Gumby” Williams and Omar Weaver will suit up for Washington D.C.’s Goodman League.
Awesome, right? Well, except for the fact that no plans to broadcast the game on television or the internet exist.
2. One non-televised game isn’t such a big deal. But missing two weeks of games twice daily would be just plain dumb. The group of almost 70 NBA players that are planning to participate  in an organized Las Vegas league run by Impact Basketball this September would be leaving some serious coin on the table. Among the players with ties to Impact’s training facilities in Vegas and Los Angeles are Celtics Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Rajon Rondo, Glen Davis  and Jermaine O’Neal .
If this league does happen and all five of those guys participate, they have to be on the same team, right? As long as they’re all working out in the same city, they might as well be playing together. On TV.
1. When I think about members of the Celtics organization who might be commemorated in rap lyrics, the first two I naturally think of are Delonte West  and Danny Ainge. Those two are like peas in a pod, I tell you –practically mirror images of each other. Maybe that’s why Curren$y and The Game decided to laud their talents in separate tracks.
First, Curren$y (See what he did there with the dollar sign instead of an “s”? Clever.) released the remix to “Smoke Sumthin’ ,” featuring Lil Wayne and the lyrics …
You’re coward-hearted, yellow, lemon merengue
I’m about to change my name from ‘Dwayne’ to ‘Deranged’
To be a billionaire I got a shot like Danny Ainge
Then, last week, The Game released his RED album, including the song “Martians vs. Goblins ” (also featuring Lil Wayne and Tyler The Creator) and the lyrics …
Then I hit LeBron’s mom in bron-bron’s coupe
with Delonte West taping, we had bon-bons too.
I’m pretty sure you can figure out what The Game is referring to in that Shakespearean effort. You’d think Lil had some love for the Celtics, but that isn’t the case — as evidenced by this video  (NSFW language). Now excuse me while I get that bad taste out of my mouth with the “Brian Scalabrine : Best Player in the NBA for Sheezy” rap (“I watch him in high-def because his body is so cut; from his thighs to his tris to his back to his butt”) …
Article printed from Green Street: http://greenstreet.weei.com
URL to article: http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2011/08/30/10-things-i-heard-about-celtics-iv/
URLs in this post:
 I: http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2011/08/16/10-things-i-heard-about-celtics-ii/
 III: http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2011/08/22/10-things-i-heard-about-celtics-iii/
 this recent NBA.com puff piece: http://www.nba.com/2011/news/features/fran_blinebury/08/27/1986-celtics/
 Larry Bird: http://media.weei.com/basketball/larry-bird.htm
 Kevin McHale: http://media.weei.com/basketball/kevin-mchale.htm
 Dennis Johnson: http://media.weei.com/basketball/dennis-johnson.htm
 Rick Carlisle: http://media.weei.com/basketball/rick-carlisle.htm
 quote machine: http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2011/03/17/irish-coffee-bill-waltons-st-patricks-day/
 Bill Walton: http://media.weei.com/basketball/bill-walton.htm
 Ray Allen: http://media.weei.com/basketball/ray-allen-celtics.htm
 the Liberty Cup Charity Golf Tournament: http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index.ssf/2011/08/jersey_citys_liberty_national.html
 Kyle MacLachlan: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001492/
 Kobe Bryant: http://media.weei.com/basketball/kobe-bryant.htm
 Kevin Garnett: http://media.weei.com/basketball/kevin-garnett.htm
 Stephon Marbury: http://media.weei.com/basketball/stephon-marbury.htm
 approached for that role: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/He_Got_Game
 Doc Rivers: http://media.weei.com/basketball/doc-rivers.htm
 caught up with: http://gulfnews.com/sport/basketball/father-and-son-in-nba-grudge-1.857303
 Mike Dunleavy: http://media.weei.com/basketball/mike-dunleavy-clippers.htm
 Lawrence Frank: http://media.weei.com/basketball/lawrence-frank.htm
 told the Detroit Free Press: http://www.freep.com/article/20110826/SPORTS03/108260424/Working-Celtics-Doc-Rivers-learning-experience-Pistons-Lawrence-Frank
 scheduled to appear: http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/we_hear_eX3NfjM4Fri4AK1giaDW0M
 the opening gala for the U.S. Open: http://m.usopen.org/en_US/news/articles/2011-08-29/201108301314667512840.html
 sportswriters are imagining: http://straightsets.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/28/could-the-n-b-a-invade-the-u-s-open/
 Rajon Rondo: http://media.weei.com/basketball/rajon-rondo.htm
 John Calipari: http://media.weei.com/ncaa/coach-john-calipari.htm
 reportedly headed back: http://sports.sina.com.cn/cba/2011-08-25/20425718861.shtml
 Paul Pierce: http://media.weei.com/basketball/paul-pierce.htm
 pictures: http://sports.qq.com/a/20110829/000199.htm
 Timberwolves: http://media.weei.com/basketball/minnesota-timberwolves.htm
 reportedly injured (broke?) his wrist: http://twitter.com/#!/rijay/statuses/108066169583452160
 According to Red’s Army: http://www.redsarmy.com/home/2011/08/one-of-our-redsarmy-readers-in-china-was-cool-enough-to-help-me-find-video-of-paul-pierces-final-game-in-china-we-have-the-g.html#more
 a chocolate figurine of himself: http://twitter.com/#!/paulpierce34/status/107019000298475520
 placed his 2008 NBA championship ring atop: http://twitter.com/#!/paulpierce34/status/107385225071431680
 his Truth on Health campaign: http://truthonhealth.org/
 Maria Menounos: http://i.huffpost.com/gen/174726/MARIA-MENOUNOS-BIKINI.jpg
 McLovin: http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/958/929/mclovin_display_image.jpg?1306180636
 Bob Cousy: http://media.weei.com/basketball/bob-cousy.htm
 Heinsohn told NBA.com: http://www.nba.com/2011/news/features/steve_aschburner/08/26/labor-reflections-heinsohn/?ls=iref:nbahpt1
 Boston Celtics: http://media.weei.com/basketball/boston-celtics.htm
 loser of a game of knockout: http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/LeBron-James-embarrassed-by-teen-in-knockout-a?urn=highschool-wp5132&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
 LeBron James: http://media.weei.com/basketball/lebron-james.htm
 Kevin Durant: http://media.weei.com/basketball/kevin-durant.htm
 Chris Paul: http://media.weei.com/basketball/chris-paul-new-orleans.htm
 Jeff Green: http://media.weei.com/basketball/jeff-green.htm
 Eddy Curry: http://media.weei.com/basketball/eddy-curry.htm
 DeMarcus Cousins: http://media.weei.com/basketball/demarcus-cousins.htm
 Brandon Jennings: http://media.weei.com/basketball/brandon-jennings.htm
 Ty Lawson: http://media.weei.com/basketball/ty-lawson.htm
 planning to participate: http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-new-league-in-las-vegas/#ixzz1Vr1Uslyy
 Glen Davis: http://media.weei.com/basketball/glen-davis.htm
 Jermaine O’Neal: http://media.weei.com/basketball/jermaine-oneal.htm
 Delonte West: http://media.weei.com/basketball/delonte-west.htm
 Smoke Sumthin’: http://www.killerhiphop.com/curreny-smoke-sumthin-remix-lyrics-lil-wayne/
 Martians vs. Goblins: http://www.killerhiphop.com/game-martians-vs-goblins-lyrics-lil-wayne-tyler-the-creator/
 this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXr880EZ3-4
 Brian Scalabrine: http://media.weei.com/basketball/brian-scalabrine.htm
 > 10 Things I Heard About Celtics IV" data-url="http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2011/08/30/10-things-i-heard-about-celtics-iv/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2014 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.