Your daily Rajon Rondo update: With LeBron James
|09.14.11 at 12:04 pm ET|
What, does Rajon Rondo have a private jet or something? One second the Inside Track has the Celtics point guard eating at Stephanie’s on Newbury in Boston over the weekend, and the next second LeBron James is tweeting around midnight on Tuesday about how he just got done practicing with the University of Kentucky men’s basketball team, along with Wildcats alumni Rondo, Eric Bledsoe and DeMarcus Cousins.
If you’ll remember, Rondo defended the Heat forward on several occasions this past season. In one instance, Rondo sparked a 20-3 run on his way to a triple-double during an 85-82 Celtics win. Of guarding James, Rondo said in February, “I was just trying to cut the head off the horse, just wanted to change the tempo of the game.”
Added Celtics coach Doc Rivers, “That matchup made no sense, honestly. And it hurt us a couple times. The only thing I saw honestly is that it gave us life. Because he was trying so hard and working so hard, it just sort of forced everybody else to join in. And even Lawrence [Frank] was like, ‘We can’t do this!’ And I said, ‘You’re right, but we’re just going to keep doing it.’ And it was good for us.”
As much as James is disliked by fans, it doesn’t appear many players hold any ill will towards him. As always, here’s the quick rundown of what has been an extremely busy offseason for Rondo …
- July 14: Rondo hosted his annual basketball camp in his hometown of Louisville, Ky., revealing to reporters: “I’m still in a little bit of pain right now, but the swelling is down. The only thing is there’s swelling in my joint. I’ll be fine, it just takes time. I’ve got a couple more weeks that I’m off.”
- July 26: Rondo told Yahoo! Sports the Celtics let the Perkins trade affect them too much.
- July 27: We discovered evidence of Rondo’s healing elbow during his Las Vegas vacation.
- July 28: We learned Rondo will be playing in an August 15 exhibition game against the Dominican Republic national team.
- July 29: University of Kentucky head coach John Calipari alerted us that Rondo will enroll at the school in order to practice and help coach the team along with fellow Wildcats John Wall and Eric Bledsoe.
- July 31: Rondo attended Patriots training camp and shared some time with head coach Bill Belichick, nose tackle Vince Wilfork and recently acquired wide receiver Chad Ochocinco.
- Aug. 2: Rondo and Red Bull presented Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino a check for $76,500 to upgrade the city’s basketball courts. There, he revealed to ESPN.com that he has full range of motion in the elbow and the Celtics veterans may organize group workouts if the NBA lockout lingers.
- Aug. 13: While in Texas for Kendrick Perkins‘ summer camp, Rondo told reporters that he set Oct. 1 as the decision deadline for whether or not he’ll play overseas during the NBA lockout. Also, Rondo was reportedly not at the club when Perkins was arrested for public intoxication.
- Aug. 15: Rondo wore No. 9 while playing for a team of University of Kentucky alums in the first of two exhibition games against the Dominican national team. His team lost, 106-88.
- Aug. 16: Rondo played the second exhibition game, as fellow former Wildcats John Wall, Eric Bledsoe and DeMarcus Cousins all praised his leadership.
- Aug. 17: SLAM revealed an excerpt of Jackie MacMullan’s latest book, and Shaquille O’Neal hinted that a President Barack Obama quip might deserve some of the blame for Rondo’s late-season slump.
- Aug. 19: Red Bull announces Rondo will attend the King of the Rock 1-on-1 basketball tournament on Alcatraz Sept. 24.
- Sept. 2: Playing cornhole, Rondo continues to work on his jumper.
- Sept. 8: Promoting his Nike shoe line, Rondo hosts a fascinating Facebook chat.
- Sept. 13: Nike releases a series of Rondo passing drill videos.
- Jeff Green 8th in front court, Rajon Rondo 6th in back court in All Star...
- Boston Celtics Daily Links 12/12
- Doc Rivers Triumphant in Return Against Boston Celtics: Highlights &...
- Doc Rivers Tears Up in Post Game Press Conference After His Los Angeles...
- Doc Rivers Moves On, Brad Stevens Pushes Forward - Torch Passed In Boston
- Doc has his day, C's fall to Clips 88-96
- Boston Celtics' Moving Tribute Video to Doc Rivers at TD Garden