- Green Street - http://greenstreet.weei.com -
10 Things I Heard About Celtics VII
Posted By Ben Rohrbach On September 20, 2011 @ 6:35 pm In General | 3 Comments
On another slow Celtics  news day, there’s still plenty to learn about Boston’s green men. Here are 10 more C’s links of interest we discovered over the past few days (‘10 Things I Heard About Celtics’ I , II , III , IV , V  and VI ) ‘¦
10. Taking time out from practice on the LSU campus , Celtics free agent forward Glen Davis  recently traveled to South Portland, Maine to dedicate a pair of basketball courts and speak on behalf of a charitable venture.
The latter event provided us with two dichotomous Davis interviews courtesy of the local NBA affiliate: 1) the awkward exchange in the embedded video between a report intent on asking lockout questions and Davis, who clearly wanted no part of it; and 2) the poignant speech to Day One  fundraisers about being raised by a mother with substance abuse problems.
We’ll start on the basketball side. The short of what Davis had to say was “I have no worry,” “Everything will be Ok” and “We’ll be back on the court.” The long of it:
Now to the human side. Here are a few touching tidbits from Davis about his childhood:
The Portland Press Herald has more  from the emotional Davis, who was introduced by Celtics legend Dave Cowens with this: “All the old guys I played with think he really knows how to play the game.”
Red Sox  second baseman Dustin Pedroia  told a group of fans  gather at the Salem Boys & Girls Club that Allen is his favorite Boston athlete. Then again, he also said Barry Bonds  was his childhood idol.
In an interview with HoopsWorld , former Celtics guard Tony Allen  said he learned a ton from the C’s captain: “I learned so much from Paul Pierce it’s ridiculous. The one thing that stood out from him was confidence, and that’s one thing I never lost no matter how many times I got injured. I’ve always been a competitor. Once the confidence and the competitive spirit collided — sky was the limit.”
Asked by a fan via Twitter who his idols were growing up, 23-year-old Jazz  forward Jeremy Evans said via The Salt Lake Tribune : “Of course, everybody likes Michael Jordan . And then I also like Shaq, just because he’s big. And then probably KG. He’s a little different than I expected. But I like him, too.” Every few months, it seem some young NBA player claims the Garnett he meets on the court is a lot different from the one he imagined playing against as a teenager. I’m guessing it has something to do with his inclination for trash talking.
8. The greatest winner in sports history obviously has some clout. Celtics Hall of Famer Bill Russell  attracted dozens of big names to participate in a golf tournament  at Friar’s Head Golf Course (Baiting Hollow, N.Y.) to benefit The National Mentoring Partnership.
Attendees included football and lacrosse legend Jim Brown; basketball stars Julius Erving, George Gervin, Charles Barkley , Jerry West  and Alonzo Mourning; and baseball titans Reggie Jackson  and Joe Morgan.
A picture of Russell and Brown sitting side by side got me thinking: Who is more respected in their sport? There are those who consider Russell the greatest basketball in history (me) and those who think Brown was the greatest football player ever (my father). I think these stats pretty much settle the issue:
7. Alongside Kevin Durant , John Wall , DeMarcus Cousins , Greg Monroe, Michael Beasley and Kemba Walker, Celtics restricted free agent forward Jeff Green  participated in the Clash of the Superstars over the weekend in Washington D.C. And only a few hundred fans showed up? And I thought D.C. was a basketball town.
Anyhow, Green’s team lost to Durant’s, 144-128, but we got an endless array of Green dunks courtesy of the ballislife.com highlight video …
6. Is there anybody worse than secondary ticket salesman in the sports business? Seriously. All they do is buy a ton of tickets and sell them to fans for a higher price. Their is no redeemable quality about it. It’s legalized scalping, only a select few are allowed to profit from it. It makes absolutely no sense.
Along those lines, after explaining how Celtics ticket sales are “flat, totally flat” as a result of the NBA lockout, Ace Tickets president Jim Holzman told TicketNews , “The Celtics are an aging team and a shortened season might help them, so I could make it up on the back end.” And by “make it up on the back end,” he meant “rip people off during the playoffs.” Just had to get that off my chest.
5. Both Garnett  and Celtics center Jermaine O’Neal  were spotted at Floyd Mayweather ‘s controversial boxing victory  over Victor Ortiz this past weekend. Of course, KG and JO both know a thing or two about the fighting game, as the former has an entire YouTube video dedicated to his altercations  and the latter punched a fan  during The Malice in the Palace.
Speaking of Celtics centers from this past season, here’s three more links …
4. We know why O’Neal was in Vegas, as he and Celtics backup point guard Avery Bradley  are both participating in the Impact Competitive Training Series. Playoffs for the lockout league begin Thursday and end Friday.
Also in Vegas, NBA players association executive director Billy Hunter and president Derek Fisher held informative labor meetings last week with 30-35 players. Pierce was reportedly supposed to attend  but didn’t. JO did. Meetings between NBA owners and players are expected to continue on Wednesday  and Thursday.
In the meantime, we’ll just have to live with these hoopmixtape.com highlights from Week 1 of the Impact League (Bradley clips begin around the 2:00 mark, and JO makes a brief appearance at 2:42) …
3. NBA.com published an interview  with the always spectacular, scintillating and stupendous Bill Walton . The former Celtics Sixth Man of the Year is a bit long-winded, so I pulled out a few highlights:
2. We’d be remiss if we didn’t mention the death of Dave Gavitt, who served as Celtics executive vice president and chief operating officer from 1990-94. He was 73. A 2006 inductee into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, Gavitt led Providence College to the 1973 Final Four, established the Big East Conference  — serving as its first commissioner — and helped select the 1992 USA Basketball Dream Team that included Larry Bird.
“While he was changing the face of college basketball  with the Big East and NCAA  Selection Committee, he was still able to influence so many, including me personally,” UConn head coach Jim Calhoun  told the Associated Press. “He never didn’t have time to talk about the game. His legacy will always include his kindness as well as his greatness. He will be greatly, greatly missed.”
1. Had basketball not lost its greatest coach five years ago, legendary Celtics leader Red Auerbach  would have turned 94 today. In his honor, I give you “Red on Roundball” in its entirety (h/t @MrTrpleDouble10 ). Now excuse me while I go smoke a cigar in memoriam …
Article printed from Green Street: http://greenstreet.weei.com
URL to article: http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2011/09/20/10-things-i-heard-about-celtics-vii/
URLs in this post:
 Celtics: http://media.weei.com/basketball/boston-celtics.htm
 I: http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2011/08/16/10-things-i-heard-about-celtics-ii/
 III: http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2011/08/22/10-things-i-heard-about-celtics-iii/
 IV: http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2011/08/30/10-things-i-heard-about-celtics-iv/
 V: http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2011/09/06/10-things-i-heard-about-celtics-v/
 VI: http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2011/09/13/10-things-i-heard-about-celtics-vi/
 practice on the LSU campus: http://www.lsureveille.com/sports/tiger-basketball-team-works-out-walk-on-hopefuls-1.2632284
 Glen Davis: http://media.weei.com/basketball/glen-davis.htm
 the poignant speech to Day One: http://www.wlbz2.com/news/article/172973/3/Glen-Davis-speaks-about-substance-abuse
 Portland Press Herald has more: http://www.pressherald.com/sports/a-man-they-call-baby-who-grew-up-in-a-hurry_2011-09-16.html
 Ray Allen: http://media.weei.com/basketball/ray-allen-celtics.htm
 Paul Pierce: http://media.weei.com/basketball/paul-pierce.htm
 Kevin Garnett: http://media.weei.com/basketball/kevin-garnett.htm
 Red Sox: http://media.weei.com/baseball/boston-red-sox.htm
 Dustin Pedroia: http://media.weei.com/baseball/dustin-pedroia.htm
 told a group of fans: http://www.wickedlocal.com/salem/features/x462627950/Grand-slam-evening-for-Pedroia-at-Salem-Boys-Girls-Club#axzz1Y9G1RWDF
 Barry Bonds: http://media.weei.com/baseball/barry-bonds.htm
 an interview with HoopsWorld: http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-blue-collar-grizzlies-on-the-rise/
 Tony Allen: http://media.weei.com/basketball/tony-allen.htm
 Jazz: http://media.weei.com/basketball/utah-jazz.htm
 via The Salt Lake Tribune: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsjazznotes/52600757-62/story.csp
 Michael Jordan: http://media.weei.com/basketball/michael-jordan.htm
 Bill Russell: http://media.weei.com/basketball/bill-russell.htm
 a golf tournament: http://riverheadnewsreview.timesreview.com/2011/09/23348/sports-legends-hit-the-links-in-baiting-hollow-for-charity/#mentors-champions-golf-challenge-1
 Charles Barkley: http://media.weei.com/golf/charles-barkley.htm
 Jerry West: http://media.weei.com/basketball/jerry-west.htm
 Reggie Jackson: http://media.weei.com/basketball/reggie-jackson-boston-college.htm
 Super Bowl: http://media.weei.com/football/super-bowl.htm
 Kevin Durant: http://media.weei.com/basketball/kevin-durant.htm
 John Wall: http://media.weei.com/basketball/john-wall.htm
 DeMarcus Cousins: http://media.weei.com/basketball/demarcus-cousins.htm
 Jeff Green: http://media.weei.com/basketball/jeff-green.htm
 told TicketNews: http://www.ticketnews.com/news/Ticket-brokers-begin-seeing-impact-of-NBA-lockout091119285
 Garnett: http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/sep/18/photos-stars-turn-out-mayweather-jrs-controversial/
 Jermaine O’Neal: http://www.8countnews.com/news/125/ARTICLE/4507/2011-09-16.html
 Floyd Mayweather: http://media.weei.com/boxing/floyd-mayweather.htm
 controversial boxing victory: http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-dwyre-mayweather-ortiz-20110918,0,763625.column
 YouTube video dedicated to his altercations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FASClJTnJ4I
 punched a fan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsI0lranu9A
 Kendrick Perkins: http://media.weei.com/basketball/kendrick-perkins.htm
 reportedly told: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/2011/09/17/2011-09-17_as_nba_moves_closer_to_canceling_training_camps_amare_stoudemire__kendrick_perki.html
 Russell Westbrook: http://media.weei.com/basketball/russell-westbrook.htm
 Rajon Rondo: http://media.weei.com/basketball/rajon-rondo.htm
 Nenad Krstic: http://media.weei.com/basketball/nenad-krstic.htm
 reportedly has: http://sheridanhoops.com/2011/09/16/exclusive-krstic-has-1m-buyout-with-cska-moscow/
 Shaquille O’Neal: http://media.weei.com/basketball/shaquille-oneal.htm
 reportedly almost signed: http://hoopshype.com/archive/rumors/2011/rumors-20110919.htm
 Avery Bradley: http://media.weei.com/basketball/avery-bradley.htm
 reportedly supposed to attend: http://tucsoncitizen.com/usa-today-sports/2011/09/17/despite-rumblings-nba-players-unified/
 expected to continue on Wednesday: http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/32128719
 published an interview: http://www.nba.com/spurs/talkin_with_tj_110914.html
 Bill Walton: http://media.weei.com/basketball/bill-walton.htm
 John Wooden: http://media.weei.com/basketball/john-wooden.htm
 Larry Bird: http://media.weei.com/basketball/larry-bird.htm
 Big East Conference: http://media.weei.com/ncaa/big-east-conference.htm
 college basketball: http://media.weei.com/ncaa/ncaa-basketball.htm
 NCAA: http://media.weei.com/ncaa/ncaa.htm
 Jim Calhoun: http://media.weei.com/ncaa/coach-jim-calhoun.htm
 Red Auerbach: http://media.weei.com/basketball/red-auerbach.htm
 @MrTrpleDouble10: http://twitter.com/#!/MrTrpleDouble10/status/116137141217665024
 > 10 Things I Heard About Celtics VII" data-url="http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2011/09/20/10-things-i-heard-about-celtics-vii/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2014 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.