Doc Rivers doesn’t expect any comps from Bobby Valentine
|12.01.11 at 11:39 am ET|
Rivers, who was back in rare form in front of a microphone on Thursday at the Celtics practice facility, was asked whether he has the kind of relationship with the new Red Sox manager that he had with Terry Francona.
Rivers was with the Knicks in the early 1990s while Valentine came onto the scene in New York in 1996 as manager of the Mets. The two lived in Stamford, Conn.
Rivers told reporters he didn’t get any free meals at Valentine’s restaurant, which is also in the birth city of the new Red Sox manager.
“I know Bobby a little bit, actually when I was with the Knicks one thousand years ago,” Rivers said. “I got to know him a little bit. We lived in the same town in Stamford. I ate a “Bobby V’s” quite a bit. I can tell you he doesn’t comp. I can tell you that much about him. I had to pay.”
As for Francona, Rivers said he keeps in touch with the former Red Sox skipper, who was a huge Celtics fan during his time in Boston.
“Tito, we talk,” Rivers said. “He’s one of my favorite people. I’ll miss him.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Why Celtics Will Be Better Than Expected in 2014-15
- Should Celtics Fans Buy or Sell Rondo's Hot Start?
- Lessons Learned from Celtics so Far
- Why Green Will Finally Succeed in Boston
- C's Big Offense Showing a Sign of Things to Come?
- Green's Transition to PF Could Reshape NBA Career Arc
- Could Rondo's Play Increase the Chances He's Dealt?