Red Sox confirm signing of Rafael Devers, three others
|08.09.13 at 4:00 pm ET|
When the 2013-14 international signing period began last month, multiple reports indicated that the Red Sox had signed 16-year-old Dominican third baseman Rafael Devers, who was ranked as the third-best prospect in this year’s international class by Ben Badler of Baseball America.
On Thursday, the Red Sox confirmed that signing as well as three others. They also signed left-handed pitchers Emmanuel DeJesus and Jhonathan Diaz out of Venezuela and center fielder Yoan Aybar from the Dominican Republic. DeJesus, Diaz and Aybar are all 16 as well.
One international scout told WEEI’s Alex Speier that Devers projects as a middle-of-the-order, run-producing bat with power. Defensively, he has good hands and improving range, which could allow him to stay at third. The scout added that Devers has excellent makeup.
Badler discussed Devers on WEEI last month, saying ‘He’s definitely one of the top bats on the market. [He has] a really nice swing. ‘¦ It’s really short, really compact to the ball, he stays inside the ball and he’s got really good bat speed. ‘¦ There are guys with bigger power on the market. It’s average power right now, average raw power, but you can see the potential for him to have above-average raw power down the road.’
Click here to hear the rest of Badler’s interview, as well as an interview with Red Sox international scouting director Eddie Romero.
For our previous reports on DeJesus, Diaz and Aybar, see below:
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery