- Green Street - http://greenstreet.weei.com -
Fast Break: Celtics Stiemroll the Wizards
Posted By Paul Flannery On January 2, 2012 @ 9:58 pm In General | 1 Comment
You only get one chance to make a first impression and while Greg Stiemsma ‘s first start may have been a revelation to Celtics ‘ fans, he had already impressed coach Doc Rivers . “That’s somebody we didn’t know we would have,” Rivers said. “After the second or third day of camp you’re thinking wow, this guys pretty’s good.”
Stiemsma was better than his good on Monday night against the Wizards starting in place of Jermaine O’Neal  (left hamstring). He wasted little time asserting himself as he blocked Washington’s Rashard Lewis. The play angered Wizards’ coach Flip Saunders  who got two quick technical and was ejected 106 seconds into the game.
Stiemsma’s shot blocking is already an established part of his game — he came in averaging 7.3 blocks per 36 minutes — but he also showed a nice touch from the outside and wasn’t afraid to mix it up with the more athletic Wizards. Stiemsma finished with 13 points and seven rebounds in 21 minutes.
The Celtics went with a smaller lineup in the fourth quarter as Stiemsma gave way to Brandon Bass  and the Celtics were able to hold on for a 100-92 victory, their third straight. They have a chance to get over .500 on Wednesday when they host the Nets .
WHAT WENT RIGHT
– Ray Allen  was the only viable offensive threat for the Celtics in the first half, scoring 16 points on 5-for-11 shooting that included three 3-pointers in four attempts. Allen finished with 27 points and made a couple of momentum-turning 3-pointers in the fourth quarter.
– As good as Allen was in the first half, that’s how good Paul Pierce  was in the third quarter when he scored eight of his 21 points. The problem was that Pierce had already logged 30 minutes so Rivers used Marquis Daniels  extensively in the fourth quarter and Daniels responded with a strong performance.
– Bass had a productive night off the bench after a shaky first quarter. He was once again the only scoring threat off the bench and grabbed six rebounds in addition to his 14 points. Bass was also a willing passer, despite only getting one assist.
– Avery Bradley  had a dominant stretch of defense in the first half when he hounded Wizards guard Jordan Crawford and essentially stopped the Washington offense from functioning.
WHAT WENT WRONG
– You knew it was going to happen on the second night of a back-to-back, but the Wizards loaded up on categories like second-chance points (17-9) and in transition where they outscored the Celtics 17-9. On nights like that the Celtics have to rely on their shooting to carry them and they were stuck in the low 40′s.
– Outside of Bass and a decent night from Daniels, the Celtics bench could not generate any offense. Keyon Dooling  doesn’t appear comfortable running the offense yet and Chris Wilcox  needs to find a rhythm after missing almost three games with a shoulder injury. The Celtics lack of bench scoring could be a major problem this season.
Article printed from Green Street: http://greenstreet.weei.com
URL to article: http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2012/01/02/fast-break-celtics-stiemroll-the-wizards/
URLs in this post:
 Greg Stiemsma: http://media.weei.com/basketball/greg-stiemsma.htm
 Celtics: http://media.weei.com/basketball/boston-celtics.htm
 Doc Rivers: http://media.weei.com/basketball/doc-rivers.htm
 Jermaine O’Neal: http://media.weei.com/basketball/jermaine-oneal.htm
 Flip Saunders: http://media.weei.com/basketball/flip-saunders.htm
 Brandon Bass: http://media.weei.com/basketball/brandon-bass.htm
 the Nets: http://media.weei.com/basketball/new-jersey-nets.htm
 Ray Allen: http://media.weei.com/basketball/ray-allen-celtics.htm
 Paul Pierce: http://media.weei.com/basketball/paul-pierce.htm
 Marquis Daniels: http://media.weei.com/basketball/marquis-daniels.htm
 Avery Bradley: http://media.weei.com/basketball/avery-bradley.htm
 Keyon Dooling: http://media.weei.com/basketball/keyon-dooling.htm
 Chris Wilcox: http://media.weei.com/basketball/chris-wilcox.htm
 > Fast Break: Celtics Stiemroll the Wizards" data-url="http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2012/01/02/fast-break-celtics-stiemroll-the-wizards/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2014 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.