- Green Street - http://greenstreet.weei.com -
Fast Break: The Truth sets Celtics free
Posted By Paul Flannery On January 22, 2012 @ 3:37 pm In General | 1 Comment
The Celtics  have been waiting for Paul Pierce  to arrive, and the captain delivered on Sunday afternoon in a 100-94 road win over the Wizards . Pierce scored 34 points to go with seven rebounds and 10 assists and looked like the Pierce of old, as opposed to an old version of Paul Pierce.
While Pierce helped lead the Celtics’ best offensive performance in weeks, the team’s defense was routinely burned in transition by the younger, faster Wizards and a double-digit third quarter lead quickly evaporated. The Celtics were able to hold on down the stretch thanks to Pierce and solid games from Brandon Bass  — 13 points and nine rebounds — and Kevin Garnett , who scored 13 of his 17 points in the second half.
They were once again without Rajon Rondo , who missed his second straight game with a sprained right wrist. They also lost Ray Allen  to a sprained left ankle early in the second quarter. He went back to the locker room and did not return.
The Celtics had lost six of seven games heading into Sunday and are now 6-8. Half of their wins have come against Washington, but they’ll take them any way they can get them right now. They’re back in action on Monday at the Garden against the Magic as Glen Davis  makes his return to Boston.
WHAT WENT RIGHT
– Pierce had his breakout game for the Celtics, doing a little bit of everything. His effect on his teammates was evident by his 10 assists. When the Wizards doubled him off pick and rolls he found Bass for a jumper. He also got Garnett going in the second half with solid pick-and-pop action.
– The Celtics had assists on 13 of 16 makes in the first half and had much better ball movement and spacing than in recent games. That went away in the second half as they relied on Pierce to generate their offense, but it was a positive step.
– Mickael Pietrus  had to play big minutes after Allen jammed his left ankle and the veteran swingman played well. He knocked down two 3-pointers, but he also went to the post and drew a foul and put the ball on the floor to create a jump shot. Pietrus also committed two bad fouls in the fourth quarter, but he played well in his first game with major minutes.
– Bass also had a solid game, scoring 13 points to go with nine rebounds. He looked much more comfortable in the Celtics’ sets and had a strong finish going through JaVale McGee.
WHAT WENT WRONG
– Allen began the game making three of his first four shots as the Celtics made a concerted effort to get him off screens. But Allen jammed his left ankle early in the second quarter when he ran around a screen set by the Wizards’ Jan Vesely. There was no contact on the play. Allen went back to the locker room and did not return.
– E’Twaun Moore  has had his moments thus far in his rookie season, but so far that hasn’t translated into production. He’s made only one of his last 15 shots. Marquis Daniels  has also struggled and beyond Bass and Pietrus, the Celtics bench has yielded few results.
– Avery Bradley  remains a work in progress. He took several wild shots and careened into three Wizards on the fast break and got called for a charge. Bradley had six rebounds and seven assists, but he also was 1-for-8 from the floor and 1-for-4 from the free throw line with six turnovers. Wizards guard John Wall  had his way with him on the defensive end, scoring 27 points to go with 10 rebounds and seven assists.
Article printed from Green Street: http://greenstreet.weei.com
URL to article: http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2012/01/22/fast-break-the-truth-sets-celtics-free/
URLs in this post:
 Celtics: http://media.weei.com/basketball/boston-celtics.htm
 Paul Pierce: http://media.weei.com/basketball/paul-pierce.htm
 Wizards: http://media.weei.com/basketball/john-wall-wizards.htm
 Brandon Bass: http://media.weei.com/basketball/brandon-bass.htm
 Kevin Garnett: http://media.weei.com/basketball/kevin-garnett.htm
 Rajon Rondo: http://media.weei.com/basketball/rajon-rondo.htm
 Ray Allen: http://media.weei.com/basketball/ray-allen-celtics.htm
 Glen Davis: http://media.weei.com/basketball/glen-davis.htm
 Mickael Pietrus: http://media.weei.com/basketball/mickael-pietrus.htm
 E’Twaun Moore: http://media.weei.com/basketball/etwaun-moore.htm
 Marquis Daniels: http://media.weei.com/basketball/marquis-daniels.htm
 Avery Bradley: http://media.weei.com/basketball/avery-bradley.htm
 John Wall: http://media.weei.com/basketball/john-wall.htm
 > Fast Break: The Truth sets Celtics free" data-url="http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2012/01/22/fast-break-the-truth-sets-celtics-free/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2014 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.