Irish Coffee: Top 5 Big Baby Celtics moments
|01.23.12 at 12:58 pm ET|
For the second time in five games, the Celtics welcome a member of the 2007-08 NBA championship team in an opposing uniform. Kendrick Perkins got a hero’s welcome when the Thunder visited Boston last week, so will Glen Davis get the same treatment when the Magic visit Monday night?
Davis had his share of moments, good and bad, during his four years in a Celtics uniform (remember how he broke his thumb?), culminating in a 32 percent shooting performance in last season’s five-game Eastern Conference semifinals loss to the Heat. In one last contribution to the Celtics, he agreed to a four-year, $26 million sign-and-trade deal after the NBA lockout that shipped him and Von Wafer to Orlando for Brandon Bass.
So far, at least, the Celtics got the best of that deal, as Bass only makes $4 million this season, although Wafer’s production on the Magic makes it closer than one might think. Take a look at their numbers through 15 games.
Bass: 11.5 PTS (48.1 FG%, 72.7 FT%), 6.4 REB, 0.7 BLK, 0.6 AST, 0.3 STL, 0.9 TO
Davis: 7.9 PTS (37.5 FG%, 73.3 FT%), 5.1 REB, 0.7 AST, 0.4 STL, 0.2 BLK, 1.3 TO
Wafer: 6.2 PTS (47.8 FG%, 46.7 3P%, 84.6 FT%), 1.3 REB, 0.8 AST, 0.2 STL, 1.1 TO
Regardless, Davis gave the Celtics more than they could have hoped for when they selected him with the 35th overall pick in the 2007 NBA draft, developing into one of the game’s top three Sixth Man Award contenders last season. If Eddie House got a tribute montage video, why shouldn’t Big Baby?
Without further ado, I give you the top five Glen “Big Baby” Davis moments in a Celtics uniform.
5. Epic Dunk Fail: In a battle against the Heat last year, Davis made the steal and dribbled uncontested to the basket, only to have his dunk blocked by the rim. Adding insult to insult, he belly bumped Chris Bosh for the foul.
4. TKO: In Game 5 of the 2010 Eastern Conference finals against the Magic, Howard’s elbow caught Davis in the face, and Big Baby struggled getting to his feet as he stumbled up the court like a boxer trying to stay in the fight.
3. Shove It: While celebrating his game-winning jump shot in a 95-94 Game 4 victory that tied the 2009 Eastern Conference semifinals against the Magic, Davis shoved a kid, whose father later demanded an apology from him.
2. Big Cry Baby: In December 2008, after the Celtics bench started blowing a 25-point lead against the Blazers, Kevin Garnett ripped into Davis & Co., and Big Baby took it to heart — literally crying on the bench.
1. The Shrek & Donkey Show: Covered in his own drool, Davis scored 18 points on 7-of-10 shooting in Game 4 of the 2010 NBA Finals as the Celtics tied the series. In their postgame press conference, Big Baby and Nate Robinson (12 points) declared their new nicknames.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Why Celtics Will Be Better Than Expected in 2014-15
- Should Celtics Fans Buy or Sell Rondo's Hot Start?
- Lessons Learned from Celtics so Far
- Why Green Will Finally Succeed in Boston
- C's Big Offense Showing a Sign of Things to Come?
- Green's Transition to PF Could Reshape NBA Career Arc
- Could Rondo's Play Increase the Chances He's Dealt?