Rajon Rondo brings back the headband
|03.03.12 at 1:51 am ET|
Maybe it was the trade rumors. Maybe he was feeling nostalgic. Or, maybe, he just wanted to blow up everyone’s Twitter feed and create some mayhem on a Friday night.
“I just felt like a change,” Rondo said. “I just needed a change tonight. You may not ever see it again.”
For the majority of his six-year NBA career, Rondo wore a headband with the NBA logo facing upside down, but the league instituted a rule against wearing headbands inside out. After the 2009-10 season, the league instituted a policy outlawing Rondo’s inverted style. He hasn’t worn a headband in game-action since.
“I think it’s my statement — my signature statement when I won a championship,” Rondo said. “Who knows? People ask me all the time why I don’t wear it anymore. I tried to get a petition, but it didn’t go through.”
It wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world for the Celtics if Rondo kept his retro-look en vogue. His line Friday night: 14 points, 13 assists and five steals. And even though he mentioned that he wore the headband on a whim and possibly not donning it again, Rondo wasn’t ruling anything out.
“I’m 1-0 in the headband this year,” he said. “So I might try to keep the streak alive Sunday.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Austin Ainge Offers Window to C's Pre-Draft Process
- Trade Possibilities for C's with Draft Approaching
- Latest Buzz Surrounding Jamal Crawford, Kristaps Porzingis, Celtics'...
- Latest NBA Trade Rumors, Buzz
- Ranking Celtics' Biggest NBA Draft Needs
- Buzz Surrounding Ty Lawson, Celtics Draft Plans and More
- Realistic Targets for Celtics to Chase During Offseason