Doc Rivers: ‘I’m just so pissed at the way we played’
|04.06.12 at 1:22 am ET|
Doc Rivers had seen enough.
After his team blew an 11-point halftime lead against the NBA’s top team and fell to the Bulls, 93-86, Rivers ripped into his team in a postgame press conference Thursday night in Chicago. But it wasn’t losing by seven to the best team in NBA on their home court that bothered him.
It was the lack of effort in the second half, and the lack of fight.
“I think it was the worst loss of the year for us,” Rivers said. “I think Chicago was too tough for us, tonight.”
Rivers was referring to the fact that the Bulls found a way to win without their star point guard and last year’s MVP Derrick Rose, who was missing his 12th straight game with a sore groin.
The Celtics played tough defense in the first half, holding the Bulls to 38 percent from the field, and assuming a 49-38 lead. But things fell apart quickly in the third quarter, as the Bulls outscored the Celtics, 29-17. The Celtics faded badly in the fourth and never regained the lead. They were again badly outrebound, 44-36.
“They were too tough for us tonight,” Rivers continued. “We let go of the rope. That was a crime. That was unacceptable.”
Rivers was only warming up.
“I don’t want to hear about us winning crap,” he said. “That was unacceptable. We’re not going anywhere playing like that. I’m just so pissed at the way we played. The playoffs are the furthest thing from my mind right now.
“We were the cool Boston Celtics. That’s what you could see. We were walking around. We couldn’t get the ball inbounds? We were the cool Boston Celtics. It was a joke.”
- Jeff Green 8th in front court, Rajon Rondo 6th in back court in All Star...
- Boston Celtics Daily Links 12/12
- Doc Rivers Triumphant in Return Against Boston Celtics: Highlights &...
- Doc Rivers Tears Up in Post Game Press Conference After His Los Angeles...
- Doc Rivers Moves On, Brad Stevens Pushes Forward - Torch Passed In Boston
- Doc has his day, C's fall to Clips 88-96
- Boston Celtics' Moving Tribute Video to Doc Rivers at TD Garden