NBA Draft’s Potential Celtics: Kentucky SF Darius Miller
|06.21.12 at 6:27 am ET|
As part of WEEI.com’s coverage of the 2012 NBA draft, we are profiling all players considered likely candidates to be drafted June 28. The Celtics own three picks: 21, 22 (from the Thunder in the Kendrick Perkins trade) and 51.
Position: Small forward
Weight: 233 pounds
Achievements: 2011 SEC tournament MVP, 2011 SEC Sixth Man of the Year
Key 2011-12 stats: 9.9 points, 2.8 rebounds, 2.0 assists, 47.4 FG%, 26.1 minutes
What he brings: Miller is a strong, physical forward who uses his size and athleticism to put himself in good position on offense with improved ball-handling skills. He’s a great spot-up shooter with NBA 3-point range. The 22-year-old receives great praise for his team-first attitude that allowed him fit into a lot of different Kentucky lineups.
Defensively, Miller has a tough time keeping opponents in front of him and often allows quick penetration too easily. He also lacks defensive consistency and sometimes doesn’t exert full effort on that side of the ball.
His build is attractive for NBA teams, but there is a still a lot of improvement here for Miller to have a true impact in the NBA game.
Notes: The 22-year-old was one of only two seniors on the 2012 national champion Wildcats squad. … He played for Team USA in the 2011 World University Games in China and also won gold as a member of the U-19 USA team at the 2009 World Championships.
Video: Here’s a highlight mix from Miller’s senior year.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Isaiah Thomas to Play vs. Wizards After Missing 2 Games with Knee Injury
- Ray Allen Not Invited to Rajon Rondo's NBA Title Celebration After...
- Isaiah Thomas Will Miss Next 2 Games for Celtics with Knee Injury
- Al Horford, Avery Bradley Out vs. Suns with Elbow, Hamstring Injuries
- Avery Bradley Returns from Achilles Injury for Celtics vs. Hawks
- Isaiah Thomas Criticizes DeMarre Carroll for Flagrant Foul in Celtics vs...