NBA Draft’s Potential Celtics: Long Beach State PG Casper Ware
|06.21.12 at 9:50 am ET|
As part of WEEI.com’s coverage of the 2012 NBA draft, we are profiling all players considered likely candidates to be drafted June 28. The Celtics own three picks: 21, 22 (from the Thunder in the Kendrick Perkins trade) and 51.
Position: Point guard
School: Long Beach State
Weight: 177 pounds
Achievements: 2012 Big West Player of the Year, 2012 All-America honorable mention (AP), 2011 Big West Player of the Year, 2011 All-America honorable mention (AP), 2011 Big West Defensive Player of the Year, 2010 All-Big West second team, 2009 Big West All-Freshman team
Key 2011-12 stats: 17.4 points, 40.1 FG%, 2.4 rebounds
What he brings: Ware may be small, but he’s a good point guard who excels in scoring. He has speed to get past defenders and has the ability to shoot from the perimeter. He converted 40.1 percent of his field goal attempts and 35.6 percent of his 3-point shots in his senior year.
Where the Celtics could get him: Ware is projected to be a late-second-round pick or go undrafted.
Notes: After recording 46 steals and 114 assists in his senior year, Ware is the all-time leader in both those categories at Long Beach State. … Ware spent multiple summers in the highly regarded Drew League, including 2011.
Video: Here’s a closer look at Ware.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Austin Ainge Offers Window to C's Pre-Draft Process
- Trade Possibilities for C's with Draft Approaching
- Latest Buzz Surrounding Jamal Crawford, Kristaps Porzingis, Celtics'...
- Latest NBA Trade Rumors, Buzz
- Ranking Celtics' Biggest NBA Draft Needs
- Buzz Surrounding Ty Lawson, Celtics Draft Plans and More
- Realistic Targets for Celtics to Chase During Offseason