NBA Draft’s Potential Celtics: Florida SG Bradley Beal
|06.23.12 at 7:42 pm ET|
As part of WEEI.com’s coverage of the 2012 NBA draft, we are profiling all players considered likely candidates to be drafted June 28. The Celtics own three picks: 21, 22 (from the Thunder in the Kendrick Perkins trade) and 51.
Position: Shooting guard
Weight: 201 pounds
Achievements: 2012 All-SEC first team, 2012 SEC All-Freshman first team, 2012 All-SEC Tournament first team
Key 2011-12 stats: 14.6 points, 6.5 rebounds, 2.2 assists, 34.2 minutes
What he brings: Beal is a threat from outside thanks to his accurate, quick-release 3-point shooting stroke. Beal also is a good rebounding guard, as he led his team with 6.7 boards in his lone season at Florida. His 3-point shooting, as well as his high basketball IQ and strong work ethic, have drawn comparisons to Ray Allen.
While Beal projects well as a marksman at the NBA level, he only has average explosiveness and leaping ability for an NBA guard, and he has average size for an NBA shooting guard at 6-foot-5.
Beal still has developing to do, but his one year in college left him projected as an NBA starter who can make an impact on a team.
Where the Celtics could get him: Beal is projected as a top-10 pick, so the C’s would have to put together a big package to move up that far.
Notes: Beal was named Gatorade High School Player of the Year at Chaminade Prep in St. Louis. … Beal was named tournament MVP while representing Team USA at the U-17 World Championships in 2010.
Video: Here is a highlight video of Beal’s lone season at Florida.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Isaiah Thomas to Play vs. Wizards After Missing 2 Games with Knee Injury
- Ray Allen Not Invited to Rajon Rondo's NBA Title Celebration After...
- Isaiah Thomas Will Miss Next 2 Games for Celtics with Knee Injury
- Al Horford, Avery Bradley Out vs. Suns with Elbow, Hamstring Injuries
- Avery Bradley Returns from Achilles Injury for Celtics vs. Hawks
- Isaiah Thomas Criticizes DeMarre Carroll for Flagrant Foul in Celtics vs...