|NBA Draft’s Potential Celtics: Tennessee Tech SG/SF Kevin Murphy||06.23.12 at 9:51 am ET|
As part of WEEI.com’s coverage of the 2012 NBA draft, we are profiling all players considered likely candidates to be drafted June 28. The Celtics own three picks: 21, 22 (from the Thunder in the Kendrick Perkins trade) and 51.
Position: Shooting guard/strong forward
School: Tennessee Tech
Weight: 194 pounds
Achievements: 2012 All-OVC first team, 2012 All-OVC Tournament team, 2011 All-OVC first team, 2011 All-OVC Tournament team
Key 2011-12 stats: 20.6 points, 44.4 FG%, 5.2 rebounds
What he brings: Murphy proved in his senior year that he’s a scoring threat from all over the court. The Georgia native is fast but not strong, something that might concern NBA scouts. He has plenty of other positives though, like his impressive scoring ability.
He can jump, is good at catch-and-release shots and can get to the rim. In his senior year Murphy led the team in 3-point shooting with a 41.6 percent conversion rate and he converted 72.1 percent of his free throws.
Where the Celtics could get him: Murphy is expected to be drafted late in the second round or go undrafted.
Notes: Murphy tossed up 50 points against SIU-Edwardsville in the best scoring effort by any player in Division 1 basketball this past season.
Video: Here are highlights from Murphy’s 50-point night against SIU-Edwardsville in January.
- Hypothetical trade idea (conversation between Danny Ainge and Kevin...
- Boston Celtics Daily Links - news, rumors, and opinion
- Should Chris Wilcox Get Another Stint With The Celtics?
- Boston Celtics Daily Links 5/18
- Kevin Garnett will not have surgery on his ankle/foot
- Celtics may be looking to move up in NBA draft
- Stephen A. Smith back with more Doc Rivers rumors