NBA Draft’s Potential Celtics: Turkish PF Furkan Aldemir
|06.23.12 at 4:17 pm ET|
As part of WEEI.com’s coverage of the 2012 NBA draft, we are profiling all players considered likely candidates to be drafted June 28. The Celtics own three picks: 21, 22 (from the Thunder in the Kendrick Perkins trade) and 51.
Position: Power forward
Team: Galatasaray (Turkey)
Weight: 220 pounds
Achievements: 2011 U-20 European Championships All-Tournament team
Key 2011-12 stats: 8.2 points, 6.5 rebounds, 20.7 minutes, 60.6 FG%
What he brings: Aldemir is a strong rebounder thanks to his physicality in the post as well as his soft hands and smart anticipation. The Turkish big man has a strong frame that will help him be effective in the post, which is where almost all of his production comes from on both ends of the court.
While he projects as a power forward at the NBA level, he will have to improve his athleticism and quickness if he wants to get any playing time. He will be a good rebounder, but he does not have much offensive touch to make him anything more than that.
Where the Celtics could get him: Aldemir is projected to be taken in the middle or latter part of the second round. Picking him is a gamble, as he’ll likely stay in Europe for at least a few years.
Notes: Aldemir was the top rebounder at the U-20 European Championships in both 2011 and 2010. ‘¦ He was an early entrant to the 2011 NBA draft but later withdrew.
Video: Here is a clip of Aledmir with Galatasaray.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Isaiah Thomas to Play vs. Wizards After Missing 2 Games with Knee Injury
- Ray Allen Not Invited to Rajon Rondo's NBA Title Celebration After...
- Isaiah Thomas Will Miss Next 2 Games for Celtics with Knee Injury
- Al Horford, Avery Bradley Out vs. Suns with Elbow, Hamstring Injuries
- Avery Bradley Returns from Achilles Injury for Celtics vs. Hawks
- Isaiah Thomas Criticizes DeMarre Carroll for Flagrant Foul in Celtics vs...