What we know about Jeff Green’s Celtics contract
|08.20.12 at 12:04 pm ET|
Welcome to the biggest mystery of the Celtics offseason: Jeff Green‘s contract situation. Does he have a deal? Is it really for that much? Has he signed it yet? What’s the holdup? Is he healthy? All fair questions. All unanswered.
WHAT WE KNOW ABOUT JEFF GREEN’S CONTRACT
- In mid-December, the C’s announced Green required season-ending heart surgery that “should completely repair” his aortic aneurysm.
- In early January, we learned the Celtics pulled Green’s qualifying offer, preventing the possibility of any sign-and-trade deal.
- In early July, he and the C’s agreed to a four-year, $36 million contact.
- On Aug. 3, Green said, “I feel awesome. I actually feel a lot better than I did prior to the surgery. It was a blessing, and I’m doing better now.”
- On Friday, The Globe’s Gary Washburn tweeted, Green’s agent David Falk said the “deal with #celtics is close and should be official next week.”
- At present, Green’s contract remains the team’s only unsigned deal of the summer.
WHAT WE DON’T KNOW ABOUT JEFF GREEN’S CONTRACT
- Why it’s been six weeks and counting since Green agreed to a contract and the deal becoming official.
- How the Celtics will protect themselves against the possibility of a reoccurring heart ailment.
- Whether Green’s contract will be front-loaded, back-loaded or simply $9 million per season.
- How close his contract will push the Celtics to the salary cap apron of $74 million this year.
- What to make of unfounded internet rumors like this one.