10 things we learned from Rajon Rondo interview
|09.26.12 at 3:01 pm ET|
The summer of Rondo continues. Yahoo! Sports reporter Marc J. Spears caught up with Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo somewhere between his Asia tour, the now infamous players-only Los Angeles minicamp and the team’s upcoming Euro trip — and the quotes are as golden as they get for Rondo aficionados.
Without further ado, here are 10 things we learned from the Rondo interview.
9. Rondo calls Jason Terry — and not Justin Timberlake — J.T. — and not “Jet.”
8. Rondo indeed organized the L.A. workouts. “I wanted J.T. to play with Kevin. I wanted Courtney [Lee] to see how Paul likes to play. I wanted Paul and Jeff Green to go at each other. I wanted to play with those guys. It was getting guys away from our actual training facility to get a new view.”
7. Rondo refers to himself in the third person. “I wanted the guys to have fun. When you’re with me I want you to say, ‘Man, I had a good time with Rondo.’ And I think that’s what they did.” (Aside: Is “Man, I had a good time with Rondo” the greatest Rondoism ever? Yes. Yes it is.)
6. Rondo definitely didn’t get along with Ray Allen. “If you look at your job, everyone doesn’t always get along with every co-worker they work with.” OK, then.
5. Rondo definitely didn’t look Ray off. “There were so many rumors like I was looking Ray off. Why would I look Ray off? That doesn’t make sense. He’s the best shooter, so why would I look him off?”
4. Rondo still loves Josh Smith, and Josh Smith still loves Rondo. Does anybody else think it’s strange that Smith was present as the entire Celtics roster (save for Pierce and Fab Melo) played flag football together?
3. Rondo already is fearful that Melo — he of folding chair fame — “might hurt somebody,” especially during flag football. Insert replacement refs joke here.
2. Rondo believes Garnett is a terrible flag football quarterback. “My team won. We dominated. I had seven touchdowns and zero interceptions. I had a nice kickoff return back. We had fun. K.G. was the quarterback of the other team, but they had to sub him out because he wasn’t getting any touchdowns.”
1. Rondo includes the Celtics in a handful of NBA championship contenders. “There are only five teams right now that can say they can compete for a title realistically. And we’re one of them.” That is all.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Isaiah Thomas to Play vs. Wizards After Missing 2 Games with Knee Injury
- Ray Allen Not Invited to Rajon Rondo's NBA Title Celebration After...
- Isaiah Thomas Will Miss Next 2 Games for Celtics with Knee Injury
- Al Horford, Avery Bradley Out vs. Suns with Elbow, Hamstring Injuries
- Avery Bradley Returns from Achilles Injury for Celtics vs. Hawks
- Isaiah Thomas Criticizes DeMarre Carroll for Flagrant Foul in Celtics vs...