Kevin Garnett: ‘Jeff [Green]‘s a lot more aggressive’
|10.22.12 at 12:06 am ET|
Following the final Celtics preseason game, C’s coach Doc Rivers called Jeff Green the most impressive player in their eight games against European and NBA competition, and Kevin Garnett offered some insight into why.
Green sat at his locker across the room, unbeknownst to Garnett as he explained the difference between this Green and the one who came to Boston for the final 26 games of the 2010-11 season.
“Jeff’s a lot more aggressive than I can remember, man,” said Garnett. “I can remember when he first got here. Maybe he was just understanding his role or whatever — at times he was tentative.”
A laugh came from across the room. Garnett looked up, saw Green and yelled: “What’s up J?”
“But now I think he has a different appreciation,” Garnett continued. “He’s playing like it, man. He’s playing like he knows he’s going to be here. He understands his role, he’s aggressive and we’re going to need that from him. I told him he’s got an old school game like James Worthy. To see him back, to see him refreshed, doing the things he loves to do, it’s good to see him back, so I’m happy for him.”
And Green shouted back: “Appreciate it.”
It wasn’t the first time Green heard the Worthy comparison. Throughout the preseason, Celtics broadcasters Mike Gorman and Brian Scalabrine made the same analogy — one Green wasn’t comfortable making himself, offering his respect to the Lakers Hall of Famer via Twitter.
He’s not Worthy, but Green earned Garnett’s praise. His knees wrapped in ice and his post-surgery heart healthy after playing more minutes than any other member of the C’s this preseason, Green averaged 13.9 points (49.4 FG%, 40.0 3P%, 67.7 FT%), 4.9 rebounds and almost four free throws in 30 minutes a night through eight games.
- Doc Rivers Triumphant in Return Against Boston Celtics: Highlights &...
- Doc Rivers Tears Up in Post Game Press Conference After His Los Angeles...
- Doc Rivers Moves On, Brad Stevens Pushes Forward - Torch Passed In Boston
- Doc has his day, C's fall to Clips 88-96
- Boston Celtics' Moving Tribute Video to Doc Rivers at TD Garden
- Doc Rivers On His Exit: 'I Didn't Like The Way It Played Out'
- Reunion week part 2 - Doc Rivers returns to the Garden with his Clippers...