- Green Street - http://greenstreet.weei.com -
Fast Break: Jeff Green scores 17 as Celtics beat Thunder
Posted By DJ Bean On November 23, 2012 @ 10:00 pm In General | 1 Comment
Green, who was playing against the Thunder for the first time since being traded to the C’s in February of 2011 in a deal that sent Kendrick Perkins  to Oklahoma City, contributed 17 points off the bench for the Celtics. His points were a season-high, as his previous best this season was a 16-point performance against the Jazz  on Nov. 14.
Much of the damage was done in the second and third quarters for the Celtics, as they entered the second quarter trailing, 28-21, before outscoring Oklahoma City 27-17 and 29-20 in the second and third quarters, respectively. The C’s had to fend off a strong fourth quarter from Oklahoma City as the game came down to the wire, but a three-pointer from Jason Terry  with 36.7 seconds helped secure the victory for Boston.
The win put the C’s back over .500 with a 7-6 record. Boston had lost two straight entering the contest. The Celtics will next travel to Orlando to face the Magic on Sunday.
WHAT WENT RIGHT
– Rajon Rondo  extended his streak of games with 10 or more assists to 36. Rondo picked up his 10th of the night early in the third quarter when he assisted a Jason Terry three -pointer that made it a 58-49 contest in favor of the Celtics. He finished the night with 16 assists.
Rondo’s streak is the third-longest in NBA history, and he can tie John Stockton’s 1989 streak with his 37th such game on Sunday against the Magic in Orlando. Magic  Johnson holds the NBA record with 46 games with 10 or more assists.
– The C’s went on a 7-2 run to close the Thunder’s lead when Jared Sullinger came off the bench early in the second quarter. Oklahoma City took a full timeout after Sullinger picked up a rare offensive rebound for the C’s and put in a layup to make it 32-30. Following the timeout, Sullinger answered a Nick Collison layup by knocking down a 20-foot jumper to keep it a two-point game.
– The Celtics were helped during their second-quarter comeback by a Kevin Durant charge that made for the Thunder star’s third foul of the night. Durant came out of the game, and from there the C’s outscored the Thunder, 16-9, until halftime. That included Boston taking the lead, as a 3-pointer from Rajon Rondo followed by a defensive rebound allowed Chris Wilcox  to score and give the C’s a 39-38 lead. Boston had trailed by as many as nine, but held a three-point lead (48-45) at the half.
– How about a team-best plus-15 for Leandro Barbosa ? In 11 minutes, the guard contributed no points, a rebound and two assists, but the results were there for the C’s when he was on the floor.
WHAT WENT WRONG
– The Celtics allowed 100 or more points for the sixth time this season. Last season, they had allowed their opponents to hit the century mark just twice in their first 31 games. Friday’s contest was the first game the C’s had won in which they allowed that many points, as they were 0-5 entering Friday in games in which their opponent scored 100.
– The Celtics created more of a presence inside, as the C’s matched Oklahoma City’s first-half points in the paint with 22, but in the end were outscored in the paint as a team for the third consecutive game (the Thunder held a 46-36 advantage in the paint). In their previous two games, the Celtics were outscored in the paint 58-34 against the Spurs and 44-30 against the Pistons.
– Kevin Garnett  had a rather quiet night offensively for for the first three quarters, as he had just six points entering the fourth. Garnett turned it on in the fourth, adding 11 more points to give him 17 on the night. Garnett also finished the contest with a plus-14.
Article printed from Green Street: http://greenstreet.weei.com
URL to article: http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2012/11/23/fast-break-jeff-green-scores-17-as-celtics-beat-thunder/
URLs in this post:
 Jeff Green: http://media.weei.com/basketball/jeff-green.htm
 Celtics: http://media.weei.com/basketball/boston-celtics.htm
 Kendrick Perkins: http://media.weei.com/basketball/kendrick-perkins.htm
 Jazz: http://media.weei.com/basketball/utah-jazz.htm
 Paul Pierce: http://media.weei.com/basketball/paul-pierce.htm
 Kevin Durant: http://media.weei.com/basketball/kevin-durant.htm
 Jason Terry: http://media.weei.com/basketball/jason-terry.htm
 Rajon Rondo: http://media.weei.com/basketball/rajon-rondo.htm
 Orlando. Magic: http://media.weei.com/basketball/orlando-magic.htm
 Chris Wilcox: http://media.weei.com/basketball/chris-wilcox.htm
 Leandro Barbosa: http://media.weei.com/basketball/leandro-barbosa.htm
 Kevin Garnett: http://media.weei.com/basketball/kevin-garnett.htm
 > Fast Break: Jeff Green scores 17 as Celtics beat Thunder" data-url="http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2012/11/23/fast-break-jeff-green-scores-17-as-celtics-beat-thunder/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2014 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.