Doc Rivers tells Kevin Garnett to remind the team: ‘Hey, I’m here’ on offense
|11.28.12 at 9:37 am ET|
WALTHAM — Sometimes on a team with so many options, it helps to remind your teammates what you can do for them.
Recently, the Celtics head coach told his superstar big man that he needs to remind his teammates that he can still score in the post. As a matter of fact, the numbers would indicate he’s the number one offensive option, even ahead of Paul Pierce.
The 36-year-old Garnett had 24 points on 10-of-17 shooting from the floor in a season-high 36 minutes in Sunday’s overtime win in Orlando. He also had 10 rebounds. Garnett is shooting 51.5 percent from the floor, second only to Rajon Rondo (51.7). He is the leading rebounder by far at 7.4 per game.
Rivers will usually talk to the team about making sure they look at Garnett in the low post because he can create his offense from so many places and he’s still one of the best passers among bigs in the NBA. But Rivers told Garnett that the coach can’t always be the one to do the talking.
“He has to remind them, too. I tell him that. I tell him that in front of the team. It’s both of us. I’ll tell him that you have to say, ‘Hey, I’m here.’ It goes both ways.”
Brandon Bass knows that when Garnett gets it going, it helps out others in the post, like him.
“I just think it’s important for us every night to get Kevin going early and when do that, we actually play better and [usually] win,” Bass said. “We have so many guys and so many options that sometimes we might lose sight but we can’t because he’s so important to the team.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Isaiah Thomas to Play vs. Wizards After Missing 2 Games with Knee Injury
- Ray Allen Not Invited to Rajon Rondo's NBA Title Celebration After...
- Isaiah Thomas Will Miss Next 2 Games for Celtics with Knee Injury
- Al Horford, Avery Bradley Out vs. Suns with Elbow, Hamstring Injuries
- Avery Bradley Returns from Achilles Injury for Celtics vs. Hawks
- Isaiah Thomas Criticizes DeMarre Carroll for Flagrant Foul in Celtics vs...