Celtics run out of steam in loss to Bobcats
|02.11.13 at 9:39 pm ET|
An exhausted Celtics team, coming off a triple-overtime triumph over the Nuggets on Sunday night, ran out of steam down the stretch in Charlotte on Monday night, falling 94-91. The loss halted Boston’s season-long winning streak at seven games.
The Celtics entered the fourth-quarter down by three, but managed to surge ahead by four late in the fourth quarter. However, the Bobcats bounced back with a late 7-0 run that included a 20-foot jumper by Ramon Sessions from the top of the key with 25 seconds remaining to give the Bobcats the a 92-91 lead. After a missed 3-point attempt by Kevin Garnett, Kemba Walker hit a pair of free throws to put Charlotte up by three. Paul Pierce and Avery Bradley then missed potential game-tying 3-point attempts in the waning seconds of the game to seal the Celtics’ first defeat since losing Rajon Rondo.
Byron Mullens led Charlotte with 25 points and 18 rebounds. Jeff Green led the Celtics with 18 points, while Kevin Garnett delivered a double-double, scoring 16 and collecting 13 rebounds. Paul Pierce, meanwhile, scored 13 with eight boards and eight assists.
In the loss, Celtics guard Leandro Barbosa suffered a non-contact injury to his left knee in the third quarter that required him to be carried into the Celtics locker room. He did not return.
- Jeff Green 8th in front court, Rajon Rondo 6th in back court in All Star...
- Boston Celtics Daily Links 12/12
- Doc Rivers Triumphant in Return Against Boston Celtics: Highlights &...
- Doc Rivers Tears Up in Post Game Press Conference After His Los Angeles...
- Doc Rivers Moves On, Brad Stevens Pushes Forward - Torch Passed In Boston
- Doc has his day, C's fall to Clips 88-96
- Boston Celtics' Moving Tribute Video to Doc Rivers at TD Garden