|Celtics run out of steam in loss to Bobcats||02.11.13 at 9:39 pm ET|
An exhausted Celtics team, coming off a triple-overtime triumph over the Nuggets on Sunday night, ran out of steam down the stretch in Charlotte on Monday night, falling 94-91. The loss halted Boston’s season-long winning streak at seven games.
The Celtics entered the fourth-quarter down by three, but managed to surge ahead by four late in the fourth quarter. However, the Bobcats bounced back with a late 7-0 run that included a 20-foot jumper by Ramon Sessions from the top of the key with 25 seconds remaining to give the Bobcats the a 92-91 lead. After a missed 3-point attempt by Kevin Garnett, Kemba Walker hit a pair of free throws to put Charlotte up by three. Paul Pierce and Avery Bradley then missed potential game-tying 3-point attempts in the waning seconds of the game to seal the Celtics’ first defeat since losing Rajon Rondo.
Byron Mullens led Charlotte with 25 points and 18 rebounds. Jeff Green led the Celtics with 18 points, while Kevin Garnett delivered a double-double, scoring 16 and collecting 13 rebounds. Paul Pierce, meanwhile, scored 13 with eight boards and eight assists.
In the loss, Celtics guard Leandro Barbosa suffered a non-contact injury to his left knee in the third quarter that required him to be carried into the Celtics locker room. He did not return.
- Celtics/Clippers trade talks re-stuck, will resume again in the morning
- Clippers re-engage in talks with Celtics, determined to get deal done
- Boston Celtics Links 6/19
- SBNation's Blogger Mock Draft
- Doc Rivers will make first public comments on future since end of season
- 2013 NBA Draft Prospect Profile: Giannis Antetokounmpo
- Where do the Celtics go from here? Post failed deal fallout