Trade rumor: Celtics, Lakers discuss Rajon Rondo for Dwight Howard
|02.15.13 at 10:04 pm ET|
The Celtics and Lakers “have engaged in preliminary trade discussions” about a deal that would send Rajon Rondo to Los Angeles and bring Dwight Howard to Boston, according to CBSSports.com’s Ken Berger.
Since Rondo makes $11 million in salary and Howard makes $19.5 million, the Celtics would have to include more pieces to make such a blockbuster deal work. Still, the Lakers are hesitant to deal the three-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year, and the Celtics would need assurance that Howard would re-sign in Boston this summer, according to the report. Those obstacles — and so many more — make the trade a long shot.
Still, the C’s and Lakers could table what little discussion has actually taken place until the offseason, when Rondo’s recovery from ACL surgery has progressed and Howard becomes a sign-and-trade possibility, Berger said.
Just imagine how Rondo would perform on national TV against the Celtics.
UPDATE: The Boston Herald’s Mark Murphy confirmed Berger’s report, citing that the “unlikely” trade talks occurred prior to Rondo’s injury. That piece of information seems fairly significant. And then there’s this.
Source who would definitely know re: reported Rondo/Howard talks: “nothing. Zero. Nada. Niente. Clear?” So, there’s that.
— David Aldridge (@daldridgetnt) February 16, 2013
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Austin Ainge Offers Window to C's Pre-Draft Process
- Trade Possibilities for C's with Draft Approaching
- Latest Buzz Surrounding Jamal Crawford, Kristaps Porzingis, Celtics'...
- Latest NBA Trade Rumors, Buzz
- Ranking Celtics' Biggest NBA Draft Needs
- Buzz Surrounding Ty Lawson, Celtics Draft Plans and More
- Realistic Targets for Celtics to Chase During Offseason