NBA Draft’s Potential Celtics: Georgia SG Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
|06.13.13 at 3:31 am ET|
As part of WEEI.com’s coverage of the 2013 NBA draft, here is one in a series of profiles of players who could be available to the Celtics when they make their lone selection at No. 16.
Position: Shooting guard
Weight: 200 pounds
Achievements: SEC Player of the Year (2013), All-SEC first team (2013), SEC All-Freshman team (2012)
Key 2012-13 stats: 18.5 points, 7.0 rebounds, 2.0 steals
What he brings: Caldwell-Pope is an offensive threat due to his shooting ability. He averaged 21.8 points per 40 minutes and showed a great ability to knock down shots when coming off screens or spotting up. However, he also showed great athleticism and could finish at the rim against smaller defenders.
While Caldwell-Pope’s short wingspan leaves his defensive potential limited, he has shown the ability to be an effective wing defender, according to Draft Express’ scouting report. He is a strong defender in isolation, but he needs to improve some flaws in off-ball movement ‘ especially in pick-and-roll situations.
Notes: Caldwell-Pope was a bit inconsistent as a freshman but improved significantly as a sophomore in 2012-13. He is projected to be taken in the middle to late first round.
Video: Here’s a scouting video of Caldwell-Pope.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Austin Ainge Offers Window to C's Pre-Draft Process
- Trade Possibilities for C's with Draft Approaching
- Latest Buzz Surrounding Jamal Crawford, Kristaps Porzingis, Celtics'...
- Latest NBA Trade Rumors, Buzz
- Ranking Celtics' Biggest NBA Draft Needs
- Buzz Surrounding Ty Lawson, Celtics Draft Plans and More
- Realistic Targets for Celtics to Chase During Offseason