Reports: Celtics-Clippers deal dead, Danny Ainge wants Doc Rivers back
|06.18.13 at 12:45 pm ET|
According to multiple reports, the Celtics and Clippers ended their trade discussions Tuesday after failing to reach a compromise.
ESPN’s Ramona Shelburne tweeted that the Clippers have walked away and are saying that talks are “off,” while The Boston Globe’s Baxter Holmes tweeted that Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge has confirmed the breakdown of negotiations.
The talks are said to have centered around the Celtics sending Kevin Garnett and coach Doc Rivers to Los Angeles for DeAndre Jordan and a first-round draft pick, but apparently the Celtics wanted a second first-round pick and the Clippers were not amenable to sweetening the pot.
Yahoo! Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski reported that the Clippers also were hesitant to pay Rivers a $35 million extension as well as $3 million for Jordan’s trade kicker. Wojnarowski additionally tweeted that Ainge has called Rivers to update him on the situation and tell him that he still wants him back to coach the Celtics.
- Doc Rivers Triumphant in Return Against Boston Celtics: Highlights &...
- Doc Rivers Tears Up in Post Game Press Conference After His Los Angeles...
- Doc Rivers Moves On, Brad Stevens Pushes Forward - Torch Passed In Boston
- Doc has his day, C's fall to Clips 88-96
- Boston Celtics' Moving Tribute Video to Doc Rivers at TD Garden
- Doc Rivers On His Exit: 'I Didn't Like The Way It Played Out'
- Reunion week part 2 - Doc Rivers returns to the Garden with his Clippers...