NBA Draft’s Potential Celtics: Indiana G Victor Oladipo
|06.22.13 at 2:22 pm ET|
As part of WEEI.com’s coverage of the 2013 NBA draft, here is one in a series of profiles of players who could be available to the Celtics when they make their lone selection at No. 16.
Weight: 214 pounds
Key 2012-13 stats: 13.6 points, 6.3 rebounds, 2.2 steals, 44.1 3-point field goal percentage
What he brings: The Hoosier has transformed from a defensive specialist his freshman year to a more well-rounded player, averaging 12.2 points per game the last two seasons while starting all but two games. As a junior this past season, he shot 59.9 percent from the field and 44.1 percent from beyond the arc ‘ drastic improvements from his marks sophomore year (47.1 and 20.8, respectively).
Still, Oladipo’s relentless and effective work at the other end is his marquee asset. His 6-foot-9 wingspan surely helps, and he’s been known to accrue steals by straight up stealing the ball from dribblers (as opposed to intercepting passes gone awry). He is also widely credited with consistently playing hard, which, as clichÃ© as it is, makes a real difference.
Notes: Oladipo overloaded his final semester at Indiana in order to get his degree after just three years. He majored in sport communication broadcast. ‘¦ He snubbed his hometown Wizards, who invited him to work out at the Verizon Center last week. Oladipo said last month he doesn’t think Washington would be a good fit. ‘¦ In the debate between Oladipo and Kansas guard Ben McLemore, Sports Illustrated’s Andy Glockner gave the edge to the Hoosier due to his defensive prowess and potential offensive upside.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Isaiah Thomas to Play vs. Wizards After Missing 2 Games with Knee Injury
- Ray Allen Not Invited to Rajon Rondo's NBA Title Celebration After...
- Isaiah Thomas Will Miss Next 2 Games for Celtics with Knee Injury
- Al Horford, Avery Bradley Out vs. Suns with Elbow, Hamstring Injuries
- Avery Bradley Returns from Achilles Injury for Celtics vs. Hawks
- Isaiah Thomas Criticizes DeMarre Carroll for Flagrant Foul in Celtics vs...