NBA Draft’s Potential Celtics: Michigan SG Tim Hardaway Jr.
|06.25.13 at 5:43 am ET|
As part of WEEI.com’s coverage of the 2013 NBA draft, here is one in a series of profiles of players who could be available to the Celtics when they make their lone selection at No. 16.
TIM HARDAWAY JR.
Position: Shooting guard
Weight: 205 pounds
Achievements: Coaches’ All-Big Ten first team (2013), Media All-Big Ten second team (2013), NIT Season Tip-Off Most Outstanding Player (2012), All-Big Ten third team (2012)
Key 2012-13 stats: 14.5 points, 4.7 rebounds, 2.5 assists
What he brings: Hardaway Jr. has good athleticism for a 6-foot-6 shooting guard, and excels at getting to the rim in transition according to DraftExpress.com. However, he is a good shooter from beyond the arc, especially in spot-up shots, as he hit 44 percent of his unguarded spot-up shots from 3-point range last season.
While he does not have great length — he only has a 6-foot-7 wingspan — Hardaway’s athleticism and motor give him the potential to be a good NBA defender. That wingspan makes him less likely to get steals and rebounds, though, as he recorded only 0.7 steals and 4.5 rebounds per game last season. He has to improve his consistency, too, as he tended to lose focus on the defensive end.
Notes: He is the son of five-time NBA All-Star Tim Hardaway, who spent 14 years in the NBA with the Warriors, Heat, Mavericks, Nuggets and Pacers. … Trey Burke, a teammate of his at Michigan, is projected to be taken among the top eight selections in the draft.
Video: Here’s a highlight package of Hardaway.
- Reunion week part 2 - Doc Rivers returns to the Garden with his Clippers...
- Boston Celtics Daily Links 12/11
- Grantland's one-on-one interview with Brad Stevens: Steez, Ties, and Math
- Doc, Defense, and Lob City - Q&A with Clips Nation's Steve Perin
- KG and Pierce look fine, C's fall to Nets 96 - 104
- 1st place Celtics take on Pierce, Garnett and the 4th place Nets
- Rondo: "I'm patient and I'm not going to rush"