NBA Draft’s Potential Celtics: French C Rudy Gobert
|06.26.13 at 5:52 am ET|
As part of WEEI.com’s coverage of the 2013 NBA draft, here is one in a series of profiles of players who could be available to the Celtics when they make their lone selection at No. 16.
Team: Cholet Basket (France)
Weight: 238 pounds
Achievements: All-French ProA Honorable Mention (2013)
Key 2012-13 stats: 8.1 points, 5.0 rebounds, 1.7 blocks, 21.4 minutes
What he brings: The first thing that should be noted about Gobert is his freakish height and reach. Gobert’s 7-foot, 8½-inch wingspan and 9-foot, 7-inch standing reach are NBA combine records, and he has the physical tools to be an effective NBA center. That size helps him rebound, as he averaged 9.3 boards per 40 minutes last season.
Gobert can move well, which helps him as an effective pick-and-roll defender. His size makes him effective around his own rim, and he has good instincts as a shot-blocker.
However, Gobert is not a good shooter, and he struggles if he does not finish at the rim. While he is big, he needs to get stronger if he is going to be effective at scoring around the basket in the NBA.
Notes: Gorbert’s father, Rudy Bourgarel, played basketball at Marist College from 1985-88 before playing professionally in France. He played on the 1988 French Olympic team. … Rudy shares an agent with Trail Blazers forward Nicholas Batum, who also is from France.
Video: Here is a highlight mix of Gobert.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Isaiah Thomas to Play vs. Wizards After Missing 2 Games with Knee Injury
- Ray Allen Not Invited to Rajon Rondo's NBA Title Celebration After...
- Isaiah Thomas Will Miss Next 2 Games for Celtics with Knee Injury
- Al Horford, Avery Bradley Out vs. Suns with Elbow, Hamstring Injuries
- Avery Bradley Returns from Achilles Injury for Celtics vs. Hawks
- Isaiah Thomas Criticizes DeMarre Carroll for Flagrant Foul in Celtics vs...